Backpack trip Oct 28-29 in the Eastern Sierra (location tbd)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Ranboze
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Ranboze »

Im a definite maybe! Sounds very fun and a great opportunity to meet everyone.
Walking outside is where I find what's inside.
burtonfm
Topix Acquainted

Post by burtonfm »

I'm in (if there's still room). I'd love to get in one or two more trips before the snow hits.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Snow Nymph
Trekker
krudler
Huts
Trailtrekker
Trail Bud & Ryan
Ridgeline
quentinc
Skibum
Ranboze
burtonfm

We can start thinking about where to go (see list of ideas in the Southern Sierra 2 day trip thread)
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
krudler
Founding Member

Post by krudler »

Cottonwood Lakes could be cool - its closer (at least to me and Snowy and other L.A. Cesspool types :)) to maximize the time, relatively easy hike, and theres lots of stuff to do for all types (fishing, nearby peak bagging, or just laying around with the great scenery and multiple lakes). We could just say "ok lets all meet at Lake #3" or whatever.

The only downside I can see is that at that altitude it could be pretty dang nippy..... :paranoid:
"Krusty, you know Bette Midler?"
"Yeah we own a racehorse together - the Krudler!"
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Third lake has plenty of campsites so that would work! :)
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

burtonfm
Topix Acquainted

Post by burtonfm »

Cottonwood area is good with me. It's a 7 hour drive from where I am (Tahoe area), but I'd be willing to drive that far as long as 395 road conditions are ok.

I'm openning a can of worms by asking, but is there anyway to move up the trip a weekend or two to lower the chance weather may cabash our plans? Just asking.
Ranboze
Topix Regular

Post by Ranboze »

I love the Cottonwood Lakes area... been there 3 times this summer! Never been into Onion Valley... SnowNymph... that might be a good opportunity to bag Independence Peak??? (or was it Kearsage Peak?).
Walking outside is where I find what's inside.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

burtonfm, this trip started as "does our group do kid friendly trips" from someone that e-mailed me. Trail Bud is the only one I know of, so we picked that date (first weekend he's available). The person that asked can't go, but we scheduled it anyway. :D

I don't have anything scheduled yet for mid Oct, so we can do another trip for those that can't make end of Oct.

Ranboze, Independence Peak starts from the parking lot on the Robinson Lake trail. If we do a car camp that's doable. If we go to Matlock Lake, we can do University Peak. I did Kearsarge, and that is off of the Golden Trout Lakes trail (or the Kearsarge Mine trail, which I started on) Lots of opportunities from OV!

quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Matlock and University Peak sounds wonderful. And mid-October would work better for me too.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

I haven't done University yet! :)

Leaving now for the Sierra, I'll try to check temps! :D