The Real Walter Mitty

Discuss your favorite wilderness related books. Share your favorite poetry, quotes and folktales. Here's your chance to showcase your creative side!
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

The Real Walter Mitty

Post by zacjust32 »

Last night I watched "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" and highly recommend it if you haven't seen it. The cinematography is on part with nature documentaries and the soundtrack is one of the best out there. Anyway, there was a scene in it that really resonated with me where a freelance nature photographer is asked when he's going to take the photo he's spent weeks setting up for:
"Sometimes I don't. If I like a moment, for me, personally, I don't like to have the distraction of the camera. I just want to stay in it."

Sometimes in the Sierra I'll find myself so absorbed in the moment I won't record it, and those are some of my fondest memories in the backcountry. Does anybody else here have that "problem"?
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: The Real Walter Mitty

Post by bobby49 »

It depends. Some people write words. Some people record sounds. Some people shoot still photos. Some people shoot videos. A few people shoot a still image just to preserve that, and then they paint it once they get home, and they use the still to prompt their memory.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

zacjust32 wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 11:30 am Last night I watched "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" and highly recommend it if you haven't seen it. The cinematography is on part with nature documentaries and the soundtrack is one of the best out there. Anyway, there was a scene in it that really resonated with me where a freelance nature photographer is asked when he's going to take the photo he's spent weeks setting up for:
"Sometimes I don't. If I like a moment, for me, personally, I don't like to have the distraction of the camera. I just want to stay in it."

Sometimes in the Sierra I'll find myself so absorbed in the moment I won't record it, and those are some of my fondest memories in the backcountry. Does anybody else here have that "problem"?
What problem? Many times I've been "in the moment" always when solo. Afterwards I think, wish kathy had been here, too. But when she is it isn't the same. When it is just me and my surroundings there simply is no distraction from the moment.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

:)
—B²