Coming up on Hallowwen

Discuss your favorite wilderness related books. Share your favorite poetry, quotes and folktales. Here's your chance to showcase your creative side!
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Coming up on Hallowwen

Post by dave54 »

Post your favorite seasonal readings.

I retrieved the complete works of H.P. Lovecraft. (A little nightly visit with Cthulu. Always good for a sound night's sleep...)

If time allows, I will reread Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (more sad and poignant than horror), Bram Stoker's Dracula, some Poe.

Others I should check out? List them here.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
tweederjohnson
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Coming up on Hallowwen

Post by tweederjohnson »

I just finished The Fisherman by John Langan and really enjoyed it. A creepy tale for the season and relatable for our fellow HST fisherfolk. Highly recommend!

https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asin=B ... 0zbA29HEPY
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Coming up on Hallowwen

Post by Dave_Ayers »

It's been decades, but I recall the novella Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and the short story The Bottle Imp, both by R L Stevenson, to be absolutely classic.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Coming up on Halloween

Post by dave54 »

I read Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde many years ago. IIRC struck me as more of crime whodunit than horror.

The most frightening books I have ever read must include a Cold War spy novel titled The Fourth Protocol (later a movie). Standard spy thriller, but the plot revolved around how incredibly easy it is to build a small crude nuclear weapon in your garage and transport it to anywhere you want in the trunk of a car.
Other scary books (recently) involved plots around wannabe microbiologists creating synthetic DNA using a now readily available CRISPR-CAS9 machine. There are labs literally creating new forms of life without really knowing what they are doing -- just throwing genes together to see what happens -- without any real oversight or controls. Truly scary stuff. But these are not really in the horror genre.

I consider Lovecraft and Poe to be the real masters of horror. The kind of stories that make you want to stay awake all night with every light in the house blazing. :)
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=