Patrick McManus, outdoor author/humorist, passed away

Discuss your favorite wilderness related books. Share your favorite poetry, quotes and folktales. Here's your chance to showcase your creative side!
tweederjohnson
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Patrick McManus, outdoor author/humorist, passed away

Post by tweederjohnson »

Not sure how familiar any of you are with Pat McManus' work, but I was sad to discover that he passed away on Wednesday at 84. Growing up in the Pacific Northwest, anyone who spent time in the outdoors would eventually be introduced and delighted by his work, and it is my understanding that his influence has spread to a more national audience over the years. His stories about his camping/fishing/hunting etc. experiences growing up are truly hilarious and I think many here at HST would enjoy them.

To name a few of his books that come to mind that I read and enjoyed are:
Never Sniff a Gift Fish
Real Ponies Don't Go Oink
The Night the Bear at Goomba
The Grasshopper Trap
and many more...

Here are some links about his life and passing.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/loca ... 97409.html

https://www.tu.org/blog-posts/voices-fr ... gn=informz
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Patrick McManus, outdoor author/humorist, passed away

Post by Jimr »

Wasn't he a writer for Field & Stream many years ago? I used to turn to the back page of each new issue first to read the humor that I believe was his. Patrick F. McManus.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

His last page articles in Field and Stream were the thing I read first also. I never read one of his books but I sure loved those short articles.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
tweederjohnson
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by tweederjohnson »

Yes, that is him. His books are compilations of those funny short stories and many, many others of a similar fashion. His humor is what he is best known for but he's written in other genres as well--including a series of mystery novels later in his career.

My family had all his paperbacks growing up but I just downloaded a couple on my kindle as they'll make perfect reading material on my backpacking trips. Coincidentally, the title of his first book, 'A Fine and Pleasant Misery,' is an apt description of many of my backpacking trips :)