new editions

Discuss your favorite wilderness related books. Share your favorite poetry, quotes and folktales. Here's your chance to showcase your creative side!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

new editions

Post by markskor »

From Elizabeth Wenk's FB page today:
"At long last, the new editions of Sierra North and Sierra South are (nearly) done. Sierra North is at the and will be released in time for Christmas, but it looks like Sierra South won't be out until late January. Time to start planning new summer's adventures!"
Link for Sierra North is https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0881HYQP4
For Sierra South, see https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0881JHXZL Looks like you can pre- both."

My library has the "older" versions of both...wonder what the changes/additions...if any.
mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
mort
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: new editions

Post by mort »

It might be interesting to see the new (10th !) editions, my latest are both 2nd editions, South is 1975 and North is 1971.. GPS waypoints are useless to me, but I'm sure everybody else thinks that's necessary. 36 trailhead maps sounds useful. My favorite parts of Sierra North & South are the flora & fauna descriptions of the first day trails:
The trail leaves the end of the Horseshoe Meadow Road on an upgrade that quickly flattens out after forking right at a junction with the Tunnel Meadows Trail. Breaks in the lodgepole and foxtail pine forest permit views to the south and west of Mulkey Pass, Trail Pass, Trail Peak, Cottonwood Pass and Cirque Peak. ...
On the long, gradual ascent west up the meadow, hikers who get an early start are sure to come upon a few late grazing deer, and along with many other birds they may well see a long eared owl, a resident of these grasslands. Usually this predatory bird is seen while swooping down on its prey - meadow mice, deer mice and other rodents, but in early season it is sometimes seen in family groups among the willows near the stream.
The meadowy path passes a lateral trail to Cottonwood Creek, crosses an unmapped stream, and then boulder hops an unnamed stream near a 75 year old cabin with fair campsites nearby. Eighteen gentle switchbacks bring one to a meadow heavy with willows, paintbrush, columbine, and penstemon. Then a replay of eighteen more switchbacks suffices to mount a rocky saddle. Cottonwood Pass.
- Thomas Winnett I hope there is more like that.
-mort