High Odyssey - by Gene Rose

Discuss your favorite wilderness related books. Share your favorite poetry, quotes and folktales. Here's your chance to showcase your creative side!
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: High Odyssey etc.

Post by sekihiker »

gdurkee wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:40 am It's also possible that a group of rangers shared a cup of this aged but purloined cocoa in the Kern Kaweah's one evening, drinking a toast to some gnarly dudes and a great trip.
I was swapping tales with ranger Dario at Crabtree Meadows 30+ years ago and we were talking about our neatest and most unusual experiences. I mentioned that I had slept on one of the islands in the lake at the east end of Kaweah Basin. Dario replied that he had drunk some of Bartholomew's cocoa on that very island.
Silky Smooth
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: High Odyssey - by Gene Rose

Post by Silky Smooth »

Priceless, stories and memories. Thanks for sharing. I would love to meet Gene in person. My experience with Gene was when i was running the visitor centers here in the eastern sierra. Gene had some stock of the High Odyssey book that I quickly snatched up and sold at LP visitor center and mammoth and a few others. Great guy, wonderful emails, and he still has soo much excitement about the sierra and yosemite. His energy is really contagious, what a nice guy! He sent a long the Tioga book that i treasure ! i need to read the others. Last i heard he was over 86. Hope he is doing well. Please say hello for me.