Price Peak in Yosemite

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Price Peak in Yosemite

Post by c9h13no3 »

While I need no introduction, my name is Sam Price. You may know me from the many peaks named after me in the Sierra Nevada. Here is a list of monuments in my honor in the range:

- Mt Price in the Desolation
- Big Sam in the Emigrant (this peak refers to my place in society, not my weight)
- Price Peak in Yosemite

These mountains were named in anticipation of my birth, so I was unable to attend a naming ceremony. However, I now feel obliged to climb them, so that I may thank my fans for their appreciation.

There's plenty of information on the first two summits, but the 3rd is somewhat obscure. RJ Secor's guidebook gives my mountain a very brief description as follows:
First ascent July 28, 1945, by A.J. Reyman on a class 2 traverse from Acker Peak. Price Peak is also class 2 from Thomson canyon.
I was planning on trail running the approach from Twin Lakes, starting from a camp just past Barney Lake sometime in the fall when the aspen leaves are changing. The trail looks quite flat & runnable after Peeler lake, all the way down Rancheria creek to the PCT. Should come in somewhere around a 26 mile day.

If you have any additional input on this mountain or other destinations I should visit while I'm in the area, please comment below.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Price Peak in Yosemite

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Looks like your Yosemite "Price Peak" is not that outstanding of a peak. At least the trip in and out is scenic. I would think that if you returned via Rock Island Pass, you could scamper up Crown Point.

Years ago I went over my "namesake" pass, Nancy Pass, and it was a horrible pass, LOL.

I have done the Price Peak in Desolation and that is really a very fun peak with a great view.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic

Post by c9h13no3 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:33 am Looks like your Yosemite "Price Peak" is not that outstanding of a peak.
How dare you! I'm sure peakbaggers have left it alone out of reverance. Much like the peaks in Bhutan, surely Price Peak must be a holy place!

In all seriousness, I figured I'd make things a little entertaining in the winter. :-)

I've been up Crown Point and Matterhorn Peak in the Twin Lakes area. I really need to get up to Whorl, the scramble looks super fun. I'm sort of inclined to try for Piute Mountain as well, since it's on the SPS list and in the area. But the SPS list seems arbitrary and dumb to me, and I have no designs on completing it. But the Benson Riviera is supposed to be cool, so maybe I'll hit that up on the way back.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic

Post by c9h13no3 »

Oh, one other real question: how runnable is the trail from Kerrick meadow down Rancheria creek? The elevation profile looks flat, but it could still be full of rocks & tree roots. If the terrain is rugged I may switch to backpacking it instead.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

You are on the more difficult side of Piute Mtn. There is a cliff band you would have to get past. I basically walked up it, on snow early season, from the west from the Rancheria Mountain trail. In addition, you would have to cross Kerrick Creek, better done in later season. Off trail in that area is pretty gnarly. Take a look at Google Earth.
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by SNOOOOW »

Sam, did you ever make it out to Price?
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Cool Sam ("Sam-I-am")

I admire your trail-running plan-- don't stumble into Mr Bruin. I love the area you're heading to, and especially Rock Island Lake, where we've seen Bald Eagles. You might circle back via Rock Island Pass, down passed Snow and Crown Lakes-- it's a really beautiful area. The scramble/climb of Slide Mountain is fun from the Snow Lake side, and the view fascinating down at the great slide, and south east to the Sawtooth Ridge. Good luck.

p.s We looked up your famous name, and came up with this:
Coming from the Welsh expression ap Rhys, Price means “son of Rhys.” Given its connections to the Welsh name Rhys, it can also refer to that fabulous feeling of “enthusiasm.” The name Price may have been taken from the Old French word prise, too, which means “prize” or “reward.”
Then I looked for mountains named "Rhys" to further your journeys, and to further inflate your ego ;) , but found only a winery named Rhys here in the Santa Cruz Mountains. Do you like wine Sam? Then run on down here. Ian.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic

Post by c9h13no3 »

SNOOOOW wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:54 am Sam, did you ever make it out to Price?
I'm actually considering it for the free day I've got on the 26th or 27th coming up. It's a bit of a white whale of mine. It was on the Sierra Challenge last year, and I stupidly put myself on call for work that weekend.
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

Work is always screwing up backcountry time. I need to make time to explore around that area
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.