Lyell and Maclure day hike

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
themtsarecalling
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Lyell and Maclure day hike

Post by themtsarecalling »

I did this a few weeks ago and with the hot weather we've been having conditions are likely already quite different. Glad to have finally ticked this one off.

https://TheMtsAreCalling.com/lyell/
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Lyell and Maclure day hike

Post by c9h13no3 »

Nice trip, just don't take anything from backpackers. They think we're underprepared weenies enough as it is. :P
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Oooh I've missed this because I haven't been checking the peak bagging forum. Of course, dayhiking these peaks from TM is beyond the physical capabilities of most of us, including me.

I did those peaks in 1975 a month plus after my 16th birthday with my dad and although we did them as an overnighter, climbing the peaks on day 2 then packing out, we still reached the trailhead late enough so that are the eating places were closed. I recall seeing folks finishing their meal at the TM cafe, then having to settle for some stale Svenhard's pastries in our car before driving home to the Bay Area.

I couldn't help notice that your finishing route to Maclure followed a cairned ledge system over to the NE ridge. In 1975 there were no cairns and it seemed that everyone went up the spine of the ridge as per the guidebooks (this would be Roper, not Secor, given that Secor's first edition wasn't published until long after this). Anyhow I eyeballed the ledge traverse over to the NE ridge from the summit of Lyell and decided to climb Maclure that way. Years later, it was one part of a collection of old routes and notes that I posted on climber.org on their "corrections to Secor" thread. I don't know if that has anything to do with the fact that the route is now cairned.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
themtsarecalling
Topix Acquainted

giantbrookie wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:21 am Oooh I've missed this because I haven't been checking the peak bagging forum. Of course, dayhiking these peaks from TM is beyond the physical capabilities of most of us, including me.

I did those peaks in 1975 a month plus after my 16th birthday with my dad and although we did them as an overnighter, climbing the peaks on day 2 then packing out, we still reached the trailhead late enough so that are the eating places were closed. I recall seeing folks finishing their meal at the TM cafe, then having to settle for some stale Svenhard's pastries in our car before driving home to the Bay Area.

I couldn't help notice that your finishing route to Maclure followed a cairned ledge system over to the NE ridge. In 1975 there were no cairns and it seemed that everyone went up the spine of the ridge as per the guidebooks (this would be Roper, not Secor, given that Secor's first edition wasn't published until long after this). Anyhow I eyeballed the ledge traverse over to the NE ridge from the summit of Lyell and decided to climb Maclure that way. Years later, it was one part of a collection of old routes and notes that I posted on climber.org on their "corrections to Secor" thread. I don't know if that has anything to do with the fact that the route is now cairned.
Interesting, staying on the ridge on Maclure seemed like it would be quite a bit more spicy! Certainly more enjoyable to do this over 2 days, I imagine if I go back it will be as a backpack, particularly since there’s such great camping at the start of the approach off trail. Seems food options haven’t improved in TM over the years!
Alpenbro
Topix Novice

Post by Alpenbro »

I want to climb Lyell too but a little confused on the 2021 permit situation.. It seems like the only permits you can get require you to exit the park over Donahue pass. Can we still camp in Lyell canyon this year? The yosemite webiste says camp 4 miles out of the canyon.

And yes I'm back after 10 years! Young children aren't very conducive to backpacking trips! :D
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Great report and pictures. I can't even imagine doing all that and back in the same day. My hat is off to you.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
themtsarecalling
Topix Acquainted

Thanks Gary!

Alpenbro, as far as I know, Lyell Canyon is fair game, you just need to be 4 miles in from the TH, so roughly the trail junction heading up to Ireland Lake. Some really great sites around the Lyell Fork bridges. There is a special pass IF you're planning on heading over Donohue Pass since that's basically how they manage traffic on the JMT.
Alpenbro
Topix Novice

Post by Alpenbro »

thanks, it's still a little confusing because it seems like the only "2 weeks in advance release permits' I can see on the permit reservation website require you to exit the park.. I must be missing something. I'm putting off everything now anyway because of the smoke situation..
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Alpenbro wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:57 pm I want to climb Lyell too but a little confused on the 2021 permit situation.. It seems like the only permits you can get require you to exit the park over Donahue pass. Can we still camp in Lyell canyon this year? The yosemite webiste says camp 4 miles out of the canyon.
I believe what you need to do is camp four miles out from Tuolumne Meadows. By the time you reach the trail up to Ireland/Evelyn you are well within the legal camping area. In fact, to leave the park via Donahue, you need a special permit (JMT).
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963