TR 10/29/14 Mokelumne peak

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR 10/29/14 Mokelumne peak

Post by Gazelle »

10/29/2014

Mokelumne peak 15.5 miles 3613 elevation gain 7 ½ hours

Okay I will start with do not drive to plasse trading post in nothing but a high clearance 4X4 preferably short wheel based vehicle! Took 45minutes to 1 hour to drive 5.1 miles quite fun but should not have been out there alone, was the only tracks on the road past Mud lake turnoff with snow on the ground. Made it but considered stopping and walking multiple times. So anyway on to the hiking part. Started at 8:30 as it took forever to get there. Right off took the road to the left…incorrect could not find a trail, went to the right and ended up at the Plasse trading post,
1000.jpg
1001.jpg
from there take a road to the actual trailhead. With a ½ mile detour I was on the trail and a very nice one at that, went past a few junctions always heading for munson meadows. Finally got to the 1st saddle where it looked like you could go cross country to the peak but looked at my phones gps and if I went a little further on trail, a trail went where I wanted to go..opted for the trail.
1002.jpg
Got me to the next saddle then went cross country pretty much straight up the north ridge staying a little to the east. Nice boulders and sandy slopes but steep. Peaked over to the west side a couple of time would not be hard coming that way. Got to the top at 11:30 beautiful views in every direction.
1004.jpg
Signed the register which only had 2013/14 in it and took a picture of the benchmark.
1003.jpg
Before the trip I had done some research on the route etc and John Sarna had said something about the Mokelumne Tetons and I was intrigued, said to myself if I had enough time I would go take a look extra 2 miles added to the trip. So 11:45 off I went towards the tetons down the southeast side to the saddle and then traverse over, went up the first peaklet to see if it was worthwhile..went to the next one then traversed on the west side to the topmost Mokelumne teton well worth the elevation drop and extra mileage, Amazing views down to the river and the other Tetons.
1005.jpg
1006.jpg
The register placed by Jon Sarna in 98 had only 14 entries before mine 1 from this year then back to 2008 was the next one. Some people rock climbed there a 5.7+.
1007.jpg
Anyway I consider it the highlight of the trip and WELL worth the time/effort. Made my way back to the southeast saddle and dropped down the eastern slopes traversing by the uppermost trees, worked out well. Got to the saddle with the trail and could not find it looked on the GPS I was standing on it…it is hard to see to say the least but becomes easier to follow past the trees. So back to the trailhead by 4. Then had to go 4X4ing scraped the bottom of my truck 3 times, past Allen camp, did see 1 other truck out there hunters and probably on their way to mud lake.
1008.jpg
1009.jpg
Weather was perfect, on the way out some smoke was creeping up from controlled burns but had none on the hike.

Kristine 42 OGULs and supposed to snow this weekend
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: TR 10/29/14 Mokelumne peak

Post by rlown »

nice report. I can tell you that the hike up out of horse canyon sucks the large burrito. Did that in '79 after dropping down out of round top to complete a loop.

Thanks for the TR. Plasse sign looks pretty new.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Have not done Horse canyon but went down to Camp Irene when doing the Tahoe to Yosemite trail a long time ago, getting out of there is not fun to say the least. I liked being able to look down to the river with out being there.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
GioClimb
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by GioClimb »

Thank you for the trip report. I'm in the planing stage and your info is a huge help.