Mount Silliman - much snow?????

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
wingding

Post by wingding »

thanks for the info Shawn.

The weather for Lodgepole for this coming weekend:

Friday: Partly cloudy. Highs at 5000 feet 53 to 63. ..at 8000 feet 48 to 58.

Friday night: Mostly clear. Lows at 5000 feet 33 to 43. ..at 8000 feet 28 to 38.

Saturday: Mostly sunny. Highs at 5000 feet 50 to 60. ..at 8000 feet 42 to 52.

Saturday night: Mostly clear. Lows at 5000 feet 32 to 42. ..at 8000 feet 27 to 37.

Sunday: Mostly sunny. Highs at 5000 feet 51 to 61. ..at 8000 feet 43 to 53.

It sounds like it's going to be perfect for a day hike to Mount Silliman - I'm really looking forward to getting up there.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

Hey Kathy,

Have a great time up there. I'm glad to see the weather is cooperating. Looking forward to hearing about your trip.

Shawn
wingding

Post by wingding »

Well, the weather didn't cooperate. Snow level is supposed to be down to 7,500 feet in Sequoia now. I started up that way today, but it started to rain so I came home. Then I thought about heading to the desert, but the wind is supposed to be blowing pretty good out there. Maybe this is a good weekend to stay home and ride my bicycle.

I did get a short hike in today though - Bald Eagle Peak near Bodfish. I was headed over to do Lightner, which is another peak in that area when it got really dark out. I've learned my lesson about being on or near a peak in the rain, so I didn't try Lightner. I've never been up in the Lake Isabella area, so it was a nice drive today even if I didn't do much hiking.
wingding

Post by wingding »

The webcam at the Giant Forest shows no visability at all. I was going by the National Weather Service forecast to plan my trip and that says it's sunny up there. I'm glad I turned around - trying to get to Silliman on my own today wouldn't have been any fun.

I got a nice bike ride in today - beautiful weather here in Redlands.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

Looks like you made a good choice Kathy. This morning when I got up the local temps were really cold. I also looked at a couple of webcams and it looked really cruddy up there. The first time I went up to Silliman I turned around at the lake because of little or no visibility on a day just like today. It would be ashame to miss the views after the effort to get there.