Sierra Challenge 2015

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
seanr
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Sierra Challenge 2015

Post by seanr »

Here is a link to a Google Photos story I created with some of the images I captured during the Sierra Challenge. I suspect it is best viewed with the latest version of Google Photos, otherwise image quality and ability to read captions fully may suffer.

https://goo.gl/photos/Ry69n3UAAxDLgQWN9

Here is Bob Burd's pre-hike description:
http://www.snwburd.com/bob/challenge/2015/

Eventually, on his personal website, he will update with detailed post-hike descriptions and images, more than he already briefly did on summitpost. Here's what he posted on SP:
http://www.summitpost.org/phpBB3/http-w ... 15-15.html
KathyW
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Sierra Challenge 2015

Post by KathyW »

Nice report and beautiful photos. What camera are you using?
rams
Topix Acquainted

Post by rams »

Awesome views. I can relate to those foot pictures. Ouch.
seanr
Topix Regular

Post by seanr »

KathyW wrote:Nice report and beautiful photos. What camera are you using?
Thanks, Kathy; actually I can't bring myself to carry more than a decent smartphone the past few years. These were from my HTC DNA, but I might upgrade soon. Images are set to automatically back up to Google Photos when I get within wireless internet range. Images are easy to share from there. With smartphones being multi-function, pocket-size, light, fast, easy to use, and easy to share images quickly, I may not go back to cameras. We'll see what comes along.
seanr
Topix Regular

Post by seanr »

rams wrote:Awesome views. I can relate to those foot pictures. Ouch.
Thanks, Rams, my feet were much better by day thirteen and it was worth it!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Very cool, the pano's are especially nice and sharp. :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

seanr wrote:
Thanks, Kathy; actually I can't bring myself to carry more than a decent smartphone the past few years. These were from my HTC DNA, but I might upgrade soon. Images are set to automatically back up to Google Photos when I get within wireless internet range. Images are easy to share from there. With smartphones being multi-function, pocket-size, light, fast, easy to use, and easy to share images quickly, I may not go back to cameras. We'll see what comes along.
Thanks for the info. I've used my smartphone a few times when I forgot the sd card for my camera or the entire camera, but the Samsung Note 3 that I have takes really crappy photos. Part of the problem is that I have small hands and that's a big phone and hard to hold still, but the quality of the photos is still not very good. After seeing your photos, I'll look at the HTC phones when I get ready to replace my Samsung.
seanr
Topix Regular

Post by seanr »

maverick wrote:Very cool, the pano's are especially nice and sharp. :thumbsup:
Thanks, credit for the panos goes largely to Google Photos as they get created automatically if I take enough shots to make it possible. I'd probably feel too busy to do much with images if not for all the inexpensive/free technology that helps with the basics.
seanr
Topix Regular

Post by seanr »

KathyW wrote:
seanr wrote:
Thanks for the info. I've used my smartphone a few times when I forgot the sd card for my camera or the entire camera, but the Samsung Note 3 that I have takes really crappy photos. Part of the problem is that I have small hands and that's a big phone and hard to hold still, but the quality of the photos is still not very good. After seeing your photos, I'll look at the HTC phones when I get ready to replace my Samsung.
My wife gets really excited about smartphones and just brought home a new one so we are currently researching a bit on sites such as www.versus.com and www.smartphones.specout.com Anyway, some phones now have lots of features similar to point and shoot digital cameras to help make taking decent shots easy, including stabilization features. The main thing I have missed in recent years is optical zoom.

Maverick, I see your other thread about phone cameras and may try to chime in later.