Whaleback via Jonah's Joy

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
seanr
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Whaleback via Jonah's Joy

Post by seanr »

A few friends and I enjoyed a fun route up Whaleback over the weekend approaching via the long, but easy walk from Marvin Pass TH. Story here:
https://goo.gl/photos/gopiSNiBAR5c62ru9

Day 2 held the biggest highlights with the exciting class 3 Jonah's Joy route and a major hailstorm!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
cefire
Topix Regular

Re: Whaleback via Jonah's Joy

Post by cefire »

That is a mighty impressive hail result
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

Wow! I think 20+ miles is a long day by anyone's standards. Nice hike.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

The Whaleback is such a beautiful peak. I've heard about that route but not been up the peak. Neat route and nice photos. The hailstorm was pretty impressive and it looks like we're getting a bit of color change in the vegetation up there. You wouldn't know that down in the valley here where, in spite of those two mild days, we've otherwise been over 90.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
seanr
Topix Regular

Post by seanr »

Guys, the hail impressed me, as did the route! Glad it was interesting to y'all.

Covering ground is as simple as staying fit and then getting out and going long over some months and years. I know several folks who have dayhiked this. It almost makes the list of top 10 hardest SPS dayhikes. I could do it if acclimatized due to the gentle trail approach, but backpacking was probably more fun! Terrain and gain are what I pay most attention to when thinking about what is possible.

Glacier Ridge is still calling to me, but I'm off to Alta-Big Bird-Silliman this weekend. This time the storm was nice enough to come before the weekend.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk