Wade BM (11/13/2016)

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
cefire
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Wade BM (11/13/2016)

Post by cefire »

Trip up to Wade this past weekend. Seems like not a whole lot of visitors to this peak - this is likely the case because the descriptions of the route do not sound very enticing.

I've got good news though! The trail through Horsethief Canyon all the way to the saddle separating it from Fredricksberg canyon is:

Recently brushed,
Well-signed,
and easy to follow :D

This appears to be very different from even a few years ago where the trail is described with such terms as "wretched" and "brush-slog".

After reaching the saddle where there is a sign stating the "end of the maintained trail", we followed Pete Y.'s directions ascending the slope to the SE and staying climbers left of the ridge. This off-trail section moves through easily navigable and open forest (really very pretty and peaceful).

Finally, about 500ft before the summit is a section filled with the dreaded Cercocarpus. Travel is slow and bruising for this last section before a rock-scramble escape to the summit can be located.
IMG_0006.jpg
IMG_0011.jpg
IMG_0013.jpg
IMG_0014.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Re: Wade BM (11/13/2016)

Post by SNOOOOW »

Recently brushed,
Well-signed,
and easy to follow :D Was that sarcasm? I was looking at heading up horsethief canyon on Sunday also but opted for Freel instead. I think I just found something to do this weekend, thanks for the report!
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
cefire
Topix Regular

Post by cefire »

No sarcasm, this is the real deal :) The final push to the top is the only place we encountered any serious brush!

Enjoy the trip!
gplhiker
Topix Novice

Post by gplhiker »

That is great to hear that there is some actual trail there now!! A friend and I did this peak two summers ago, in 2014, and as you say it was a horrendous, wretched brush-slog. We enjoyed the rarely-visited peak, but getting there and back was not much fun. I have a trip report of the fun on my site.