TR: 11/23/16 Red Lake Peak and Stevens Peak

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
peaksandpotatoes
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

TR: 11/23/16 Red Lake Peak and Stevens Peak

Post by peaksandpotatoes »

It was a great day in the mountains with great company. We climbed out of the Carson Pass Sno-Park straight up the ridge that connects Red Lake and Stevens. We did not set foot on the PCT. A little bushwhacking to begin with but the rest of the walk was really straightforward with great views all along the way. The snow was all fresh dry powder. So dry and cold, I hiked all day in my regular boots and pants, and the snow didn't stick or get wet. The snow was knee deep in a few short sections, often ankle deep, and sometimes the mountain was bare. Red Lake Peak requires some scrambling on snow topped rocks and loose stuff but we spotted each other and had good communication. There is a red can as a register on Peak 9700' on the ridge. Stevens Peak is very easy and straightforward. The high point is the last bump. We returned by getting back onto Peak 9700' then contouring towards the PCT side of the ridge to bypass the slow scramble on Red Lake, then rejoining the ridge at the end. The weather was good for most of the day except for very strong wind on Stevens and even crazier wind for the last hour or so of the hike. Photos courtesy of my friend, Carmen.

Just got onto the ridge:

Scrambling towards Red Lake Peak:

Moving towards Stevens

Starting off on the contour with a storm coming in:

I think this is a view of Elephant's Back and Roundtop from near the beginning of the ridge:
http://peaksandpotatoes.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 11/23/16 Red Lake Peak and Stevens Peak

Post by maverick »

Looks like you all had a fun trip, though maybe a little bit cold. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
gplhiker
Topix Novice

Post by gplhiker »

That is a great double peak stretch. The view south from Red Lake Peak is awesome, and the views west from Stevens towards LRT are also fantastic. Thanks for pics of it in the snow!
Jason
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Jason »

That looks like fun. I hiked up "most" of Red Lake Peak once, but I was alone and only made one attempt at the summit block and found it kind of spooky. I'm could probably do it easily if it was sitting in my front yard, but something about being way up there unnerves me. Awesome views though. Thx for the report.
cefire
Topix Regular

Post by cefire »

Great winter peak bagging in that area!