Mount Langley conditions

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
jrock73
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Mount Langley conditions

Post by jrock73 »

I have permits for Langley (via CottonWood Lakes Trail) at the end of July (3 days - 7/29 -> 7/31).
Hopefully a good amount snow will have melted by then (especially with the summer heat).
I have a couple newbies going on the trip this time, and I'm hoping that I can get them up to the summit.

Which route seems more likely for end of July, Old Army pass, or New Army pass ?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

I believe New Army pass was built because Old Army pass held snow so long. I'd bet NAP over OAP as your best chance.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Ashery
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Ashery »

Jimr wrote:I believe New Army pass was built because Old Army pass held snow so long.
That's certainly lined up with my, admittedly limited, experience. Old Army conditions on my July 1 trip last year still required crampons and an ice axe while New Army was viable with nothing. Actually ran into a couple that went up Old Army that did just that.

It's possible it'll have opened up by the end of July and it never hurts to check with a ranger when you pick up your permit. That said, New Army definitely clears first, and that was the actual question being asked.
B.Kruger
Topix Acquainted

Post by B.Kruger »

TheMarmot wrote:Hi, here's a pic of New Army Pass and the regular route up Mt Langley. Taken from summit of Cirque Peak this past Sunday 6/11/17. Trail clear up to @11000'(Cottonwood Lks area), then areas of snow up to NAP. Hope that helps!
Would someone be able to point out on Marmot's photo where NAP crests? I see the right trending switchback in the lower part of the photo, but then I lose it. I've never been up this pass (though I hope to next month) so I'm not sure where the route trends. Thanks in advance.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

IMG_1622.JPG
I think that's basically it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

B.Kruger wrote:Would someone be able to point out on Marmot's photo where NAP crests? I see the right trending switchback in the lower part of the photo, but then I lose it. I've never been up this pass (though I hope to next month) so I'm not sure where the route trends. Thanks in advance.
I hiked up there on June 3 2015 and there was still a cornice at the top of the pass. It was no where as bad as this picture, though.
IMG_162.jpg
It looks like Jim answered your question, but I'll post anyway.

Thanks,

-Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

I really can't comment on the actual crest, because it was covered by the cornice (just as in this picture). I just used my ice ax and went over the crest where there was snow but no cornice. I essentially followed what others had done before me.

I hope this helps.

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
B.Kruger
Topix Acquainted

Post by B.Kruger »

Great. Thanks, all.
jstew2691
Topix Newbie

Post by jstew2691 »

Thanks for everyone posting this information. I am leading a group up Langley via New Army on July 28, 29 and 30. Should be pretty well open by then don't you think?
jstew2691
Topix Newbie

Post by jstew2691 »

jrock73 wrote:I have permits for Langley (via CottonWood Lakes Trail) at the end of July (3 days - 7/29 -> 7/31).
Hopefully a good amount snow will have melted by then (especially with the summer heat).
I have a couple newbies going on the trip this time, and I'm hoping that I can get them up to the summit.

Which route seems more likely for end of July, Old Army pass, or New Army pass ?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
@jrock73- I'm traveling with a group 1 day ahead of you- 28th thru 30th. We are planning on New Army Saturday 29th. Hopefully it'll be passable. I was going to call the ranger station 1 week out.