Climbing training for kids?

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
fishwrong
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Climbing training for kids?

Post by fishwrong »

My 9 year old daughter has an interest in rock climbing. When we're out hiking and fishing she's more interested in playing around on the rocks. I've got a bit of high and low angle rescue experience from the fire service, but not enough to feel comfortable getting her off the ground requiring gear.

We've been to a couple climbing gyms, but I'm looking to get us both some formal training. Curious how others have gotten into the sport, and looking for suggestions on getting formal training and keeping it fun. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular

Re: Climbing training for kids?

Post by Dave_Ayers »

Climbing gyms usually offer lessons. Major metro areas should have clubs/companies that offer lessons. For instance, there are several in the SF Bay area. REI has learn to climb classes for 8-12 year olds (and 5-7 year olds) depending on your location. Yosemite Mountaineering starts at age 10 (with parent) so that might work if she has a BD coming up and you are heading that way.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Like DA mentioned, climbing gyms offer classes. Find out which ones are the better ones in your area, learning proper safety and technique from the get go, from a competent instructor, is important for a long and injury free climbing career.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
fishwrong
Topix Regular

Post by fishwrong »

Thanks for the response. There's a climbing gym in Rancho Cordova which isn't too far from home. We'll start there.
Much appreciate.
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular

Post by Dave_Ayers »

fishwrong wrote:... and keeping it fun...
My kids didn't take up climbing, but through experience with their many other activities the main thing I would say on this is to have other kids about their age involved too. It usually doesn't take long and they are goofing and having a good time together.