Best route to Banner/Ritter, dog friendly?

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Best route to Banner/Ritter, dog friendly?

Post by hikerduane »

Searched some here and the internet. Have not been to Ansel Adams Wilderness for seven or eight years maybe and up and over Lake Catherine even longer, coming up from Hemlock Crossing, getting snowed on in Oct. Wanting to do a bp trip with my year old pup, experienced already packing. Using the Silver Lake TH. Best route for us if even doable with my dog? Planning a five day or longer trip mid July. Want to hit Fern Lake this trip, been at Ediza, Iceberg, Cecile before. Go up to the pass by Thousand Island or out of Ediza or Nydiver Lakes? Would be a day hike from a two night camp before continuing my trip. Hope this isn't too confusing, mainly need route info to either Ritter or Banner from a base camp.
Duane
Piece of cake.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Best route to Banner/Ritter, dog friendly?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Going in Silver Lake, I do not see how Fern Lake would fit into a five day schedule. If you stay on trails you drop a lot and have to go back up to Fern. If you want to see Fern, why not go in from Reds Meadow?

I do not think the SHR (above Iceberg Lake and around Cecile Lake has LOTS of huge talus) would be appropriate for a dog. The most I think you can do is a day trip from Garnet Lake into Nydiver Lake over White Bark Pass (but that too has some talus). When I took my dog on her first trip at 11 months old, in Desolation, she ended up with holes in all her paws due to the sharp rocky trails. The rock in the Minarets is also rough and sharp metamorphic rock, not smooth granite. Personally, with a young dog, I would stay on the trails.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

Duane,

I am confused. You are posting in the Peak Bagging section. Are you asking the best route to bag Banner and Ritter with your dog? Please do not attempt to do that with your dog.

http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... er#p110041

http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... 32&t=14903

These routes are not a place to take a dog.

I hope I misunderstand your question.

Thanks,

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

I'm not a climber per se. But my understanding is that neither peak is a "hike" in the sense that you can simply walk up there to the peak. Some mountaineering experience and researching the routes is required.

Since it does not sound like you are taking that into consideration, I'll agree with Russ - not a place for your dog. Or you, if you're not considering the mountaineering aspect of it, and thinking you're heading up to the top on an established trail.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Having gone up to Banner from Lake Catherine, I would say dog unfriendly.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Thank you, that is what I wanted to know. I usually do loop trips, have been to Fern Lake before via Silver Lake TH. My old dog Pooch has been with me going from Ediza to Iceberg and Cecile Lakes, so that is very doable. I let my dog choose his route going that way, we had done tougher scrambles in the Trinity Alps. I was planning on a shorter loop this year, but if bagging Banner is off the list, could expand to include Ediza, Johnston Meadow, back up to Holcomb Lake, Summit Meadow area, up Granite Stairway to Hemlock Crossing, Twin Island Lakes, up and over Lake Catherine. Trail is pretty thin by Cargyle Meadow, Corral Meadow. Maybe a reverse loop to save all the up and down. May think about this, looking for more scenic area instead of just one spot.
Duane
Piece of cake.
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Your pooch must have tough paws. :)

When I worked at REI, a guy from Alaska brought his pooch in. It was slightly larger than a toy dog. He said it could outwalk anyone for at least a hundred miles. Go figure.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I still say watch the paws. I take doggie booties, not for full time use, but to use in case the dog gets an injured paw.

I have done both of the "easiest" routes on Banner and Ritter, and, I agree that they are not dog friendly.

Why Fern Lake? I thought Ashley and Anona were much better. Ashley is particularly scenic. Easy x-c between Ashley and Anona.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Ashley is the prettiest in the southern part of the Minarets, pretty wildflowers near the outlet, except for Iron Lake on the western side. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Thank you for the lake info, Fern was just along the way. Have yet to sit down with pen and paper and come up with a plan. My pup goes on daily walks with me, less than five minutes to FS roads, so he gets his paws conditioned. Was worried about conditioning for us both, but Repo had lots of energy the other day on a bike ride, I conquered a steep section of FS road I had tried for many years. Working out of town left me no desire to do that loop on the weekend when I was back home. Getting older, just seems things are harder. My planning involves me estimating how many miles I can make in a day, so at times may not be the optimal lake or spot to stop. Rethinking my original plan to loop around the Minarets, may do pararell routes. We'll see.
Duane
Piece of cake.