Spanish Mountain

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
mathguy1
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Spanish Mountain

Post by mathguy1 »

IMG_5872.jpg
I finally hiked up Spanish Mountain, on the northern ridge above Kings Canyon, which has been on my peak-bagging bucket list for 25 years or more. From the summit, one can peer down 8000' or more down to the Kings River, and the view in all directions is superb! If I return, I would camp on top. I road my mountain bike for just over a mile up the horrible jeep trail before ditching it, as I was pushing more than riding. In the end it turned out that the road section was steeper and more tiring than the easy and beautiful cross-country at the end of the road! All told, I spent 4 hours on the road and 3 hours past the road. A highly recommended summit, and good to do before the road opens on July 1, unless you don't mind having bizarre-looking OHVs passing you by. Four vehicles passed me as they were heading down, having been given permission to get the road ready for the season, and were surprised to see me hiking up. I chatted amicably with the first fellow, who initially suggested the route was "closed" ( probably before realizing that for a hiker that wouldn't mean anything in particular!). I'd never seen a road that looked so un-drivable!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.