Climbing 2001-2005

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Climbing 2001-2005

Post by Wandering Daisy »

This tread is not getting many posts, so here are some old climbing photos (before I joined HST) to cheer up the winter. I obviously did not take a lot of these photos but cannot remember who did.
101_0190_Whitney E Buttress.jpg
25_SkyB_EllenNewcombERdg.jpg
102-0276_MtConness.jpg
Bear Creek Spire_Climb 3.jpg
108_0809_Castle Peak.jpg
102-0238_Seven Gables.jpg
105_0524_JTree.jpg
P7270042_B_North Palisade.jpg
Tuolumne.jpg
SplitMtn.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Wandering Daisy on Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: Climbing 2001-2005

A few more. As you can see, when I was climbing there never a lack of places to go to climb early season!
Snow_Piute.jpg
104-0455_Yosemite.jpg
Iris Slab_Benton.jpg
104-0443_Yosemite.jpg
109_0928_JTree.jpg
105_0508_JTree.jpg
101-0163_Royal Arches.jpg
FresnoD_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

That should get some of the adventure juices flowing.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Unfortunately, most of my climbing was done in the days before small point-and-shoot cameras so on the majority of my Sierra alpine climbs we did not take cameras at all. These photos are over-represented by Joshua Tree, Yosemite Valley and Tuolumne which are the most popular rock climbing "playgrounds". We were never good enough to do the big walls of Yosemite since we were in the 5.8 and under range of alpine climbing.
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

Can never be too many climbing pics! Thanks for sharing, feel free to add more :nod:
davidsheridan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by davidsheridan »

Thanks for sharing! Great pictures and very fun to dream of climbs. You are awesome WD
Silky Smooth
Topix Regular

Post by Silky Smooth »

Respect, much propz Ms. Daisy, nice to see more multi sport discipline tr's and photos here on HST.

thanks again for posting
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Here are a few more I dug up from the past.

Tollhouse Rock is out of Fresno and makes for a great winter climbing area on low angle slabs.
TollhouseRock2001.jpg
Daff Dome and Lembert Dome in Tuolumne, another nice area. This trip with two other women climbers.
lembertTR.jpg
Daff Dome_Tuolumne 2004.jpg
day-hiked Mt. Sill in the late 1990's from Barrett Basin. Then did the technical east side twice.
2002 Mt Sill climbing.jpg
Successfully did Matterhorn peak and then went back and did the route shown below and we were stormed off it by a thunder and lightning!
2002_Matterhorn Pk.jpg
Matternorn Pk2_2002.jpg

Did Thunderbolt from Thunderbolt pass and that time I lead the summit block (5.8). Two photo below was from the east side and my husband did lead the summit block. We also did the 2-3rd class route on Mt Winchell.
Dave Thunderbolt_edited-1.jpg
Thunderbolt-Winchell_2001.jpg
Early one June we planned on climbing at Tuolumne, and it snowed, the road was closed, so we did Glass Mountain off 120 (towards Benton NV) and got a good view of the snowy Sierra.
Yos_June08_Glass_ViewWest.jpg
We did a formal 2-day "snow practice" every season before climbing to brush up on our snow skills. This one was on one of the ski runs on Kirkwood Ski area after it closed for the season. The fellow above me is practicing his boot-axe belay.
Snow Practice 2004 CMC_Kirkwood.jpg
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

Fun!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Yes this fits the bill! Such a nice range of climbs too from the highest Sierra to lower elevations throughout the state. I haven always been only an armchair climber but I love climbing stories (reading yet another climbing book right now as my pleasure reading) and photos, but have always been a chicken who stuck to the considerably lower angle of walk-up mountains with a smidge of 3rd class (some that have "grade inflated" to 4th) here and there. Anyhow thanks for these posts. They are very enjoyable!
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;