RIP Turtleggjp

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: RIP Turtleggjp

Post by sekihiker »

I met Matt at Granite Lake (http://www.sierrahiker.com/MonarchDivide/index.html) in July, 2001. There weren't many Sierra hiking websites online back then and Matt had visited mine. When I introduced myself, he blurted out, "THE Bill Finch. I'm star-struck!" Matt is the only person to make me feel like a celebrity, but, fortunately, the feeling only lasted for a few seconds. We talked that evening, then the next day down the Copper Creek Trail to Cedar Grove. He hadn't been hiking that long, maybe a year or two, but it was obvious that he really loved doing it.
I ran into his name a few times since then, mainly associated with Bob Burd's annual climbs. Then he posted a great report on HST on a solo trip he took to Tehipite Valley(viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12947&p=97008#p97008).
Obviously, he came a long way since I met him in 2001. I was shocked to read of his passing. He was enthusiastic and fun to be around. RIP, Matt.
seanr
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: RIP Turtleggjp

Post by seanr »

Bill, I appreciate you sharing this story. I was tackling North Guard around the time you posted, so found the timing enjoyable when I returned. Also from Roads End, Matt loved Rae Lakes loop as a big goal he eventually achieved (in a day with his sister along the most recent time) and I stomped a bit of that Bubbs Creek ground on my outing. Amazing water flows!
sekihiker wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:29 am I met Matt at Granite Lake (http://www.sierrahiker.com/MonarchDivide/index.html) in July, 2001. There weren't many Sierra hiking websites online back then and Matt had visited mine. When I introduced myself, he blurted out, "THE Bill Finch. I'm star-struck!" Matt is the only person to make me feel like a celebrity, but, fortunately, the feeling only lasted for a few seconds. We talked that evening, then the next day down the Copper Creek Trail to Cedar Grove. He hadn't been hiking that long, maybe a year or two, but it was obvious that he really loved doing it.
I ran into his name a few times since then, mainly associated with Bob Burd's annual climbs. Then he posted a great report on HST on a solo trip he took to Tehipite Valley(viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12947&p=97008#p97008).
Obviously, he came a long way since I met him in 2001. I was shocked to read of his passing. He was enthusiastic and fun to be around. RIP, Matt.