Questions about Kennedy Peak via Soda Canyon

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Flamingo
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Questions about Kennedy Peak via Soda Canyon

Post by Flamingo »

Hi All,
Could anyone share first-hand experiences climbing Kennedy Peak via Soda Canyon? This weekend I'm planning to backpack to Kennedy Lake, setup a basecamp, and climb some local peaks (with snowshoes, crampons, and ice axe). Kennedy Peak seems like a good option, but I can't find much route information online, except Bob Burd's Report.
Last edited by Flamingo on Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Questions about Kennedy Peak via Soda Canyon

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have been up Soda Creek to about 8800. I am not sure which bowl I hiked to, the one under Molo Mountain or the easier one under Kennedy Pk. I wrote a trip report so maybe you can look that up. I did this 5/12/ 2012 which may be similar to this year early June, but with all the late snow up there I would expect some of the new snow not yet melted. Here are some photos. First you have to cross the creek, which was wading, but not bad. I crossed where it branched into several channels. You can also see some cornices on the ridge that forms the edge of the upper bowl.
2909_SodaCanyon1_small.jpg
2913_upper SodaCanyon_small.jpg
2916_UpperSodaCanyonRight2_small.jpg
2917_UpperSodaCanyon_small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

My wife and I did this in May of last year. She really doesn't like to get home late after a weekend trip, so we decided to just hike up to the saddle to the south of the peak for a view over the ridge, and go back.

Getting up the east wall of Soda Canyon is a tedious affair, but totally within your skills. It's a wonderful area early season, with lots of waterfalls running into Soda Canyon. I think you'll have a great time, late June will probably be about the same as what we did a year ago.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.