TR: University Peak 6/16/19

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
stringbop
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

TR: University Peak 6/16/19

Post by stringbop »

So headed to Onion Valley with the idea of climbing either Kearsarge Peak or University Peak. When I arrived at the parking lot, decided on University Peak- go big or go home! The way I was going to climb University Peak was to take the trail for Robinson Lake up to University Pass. The entry to the trail is not marked at all, looks like a campsite. The trail was completely flooded (making me think it was an actual stream- not trail) and I had to duck through a bunch of overgrown tree branches. In the process got my boots soaking wet--uggggh- should of just taken them off :mad: After walking thru the stream 15 yards a clear trail was established. Bizarre that the hardest navigational part of the trip was finding the dang trail! Alas on trail and moving just after 9:30AM. I was able to make good progress for close to a mile before everything turned to snow - around 9,800 feet- at which point I put on the my snow shoes. From this point on just trudged uphill to Robinson Lake and then followed the direction of Independence Creek towards University Pass. At about 11,800 feet ditched the snow shoes for crampons and took the steep snow gully straight up to University Pass. The views from University Pass were phenomenal. Could not believe all the snow in Center Basin and beyond :eek: This is gonna put a major damper in my summer backpacking plans :smirk: From University Pass to University Peak was snow free (few patches) and straight forward class 2 hiking. Took me about an hour+. The views from University Peak made the journey worth every step. Looked like there was a storm approaching so only stayed maybe 10+ minutes on the peak and got the hell out of dodge. Took me 3+ hours to get back to my car which was just after 7PM. The following day decided to get out of the snow, so hiked up to Olancha Peak. That was awesome, but not High Sierras awesome.

Snow Chute.jpg
Snow Gully to University Pass (red arrow)
University Peak.jpg
University Peak
Forester Pass.jpg
Center Peak with Forester Pass behind (purple arrow)
Mt. Brewer.jpg
View Towards Mt. Brewer
Mt. Keith.jpg
Mt. Keith loomin large
Vidette Meadow.jpg
View Towards Vidette Meadow
Kearsarge Pass.jpg
Kearsarge Pass (red arrow)
Williamson.jpg
Center Basin
Kearsarge Peak.jpg
Kearsarge Peak
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by stringbop on Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:48 am, edited 4 times in total.
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: University Peak 6/16/19

Post by The Other Tom »

Great pics! Thanks
Flamingo
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Flamingo »

Thanks for sharing @stringbop. Wow that's a lot of snow!
davidsheridan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by davidsheridan »

Congrats on a killer summit! Loved the pictures and thanks for taking the time to put arrows and point out major features!
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Terrific photos, thanks for sharing.
oddtiger
Topix Regular

Post by oddtiger »

Great photo! I took my daughters (then 3yo and 5yo) up to the Robinson lake last July and the first section of the trail is indeed confusing.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Nice pics :)
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.