TR: Lone Pine Peak 7/10-11, 2019

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Lone Pine Peak 7/10-11, 2019

Post by CAMERONM »

Lone Pine Peak (12,944 ft. 12 miles, 5,300 ft ascent) has been on my list for awhile. It is the most prominent peak when viewed from Lone Pine and is often mistaken for Whitney.
IMG_2288.jpg
I have read the reports of the tough scree slog to climb it and so I made the journey last week to make a partial snow ascent. I have to drive fast from Los Angeles to make it to the Lone Pine Visitor center by the 4:45 cutoff to get my permit. I was told that I should expect snow above 11,000. ft. I come equipped with both crampons and microspikes so as to be able to take on any situation. I start on the Meysan Lakes Trail by 6:30 pm and hike for two hours to get closer for a better morning ascent.
IMG_2205.jpg
I enjoy the late-day view looking back to Lone Pine and the Alabama Hills.
IMG_2221.jpg
The next morning I make the mistake of leaving the trail near the lakes, only to cut across a lot of nasty brush to reach the start of the pass. The climb is indeed lousy scree, and there is almost no snow.
IMG_2224.jpg
There is a saddle at the top of the pass, and a false summit
IMG_2232.jpg
There are actually two false summits. The ascent takes much longer and is hotter than I had expect, and I am seriously regretting bringing only one liter of water and one power bar. Fortunately, there are a few tiny snow patches where I manage to double my water, and I discover some other food at the bottom of my pack. There are easy paths around the big rocks.
IMG_2244.jpg
The views are similar to Langeley, except you are more front and center for the action. The view of the Inyo Valley is particularly good.
IMG_2247.jpg
Looking to the west, everything is there: Muir, Whitney, Russel, Tyndall and Williamson.
IMG_2253.jpg
I enjoy the strange forms of suncupped snow. I anticipate a sketchy descent but it isn't that bad, just tedioius.
IMG_2218.jpg
I wash in a small lake at the bottom, eat, and make my way back down to Whitney Portal. I did not think that this trip would take all day, and have to remind myself that I did indeed travel rapidly from nearly zero sea level in West Los Angeles to 13,000 ft, and I am not 30 years old. I bring enough food to camp another night to enable another different ascent but decide that I am pretty beat and have had enough. For those who are wondering about snow conditions, it appears that it is now very safe to go out and play.
IMG_2271.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
commonloon
Topix Regular

Re: TR: Lone Pine Peak 7/10-11, 2019

Post by commonloon »

Thanks for the TR Cameron. Always good to bag a peak that "has been on [your] list for awhile." Headed up Shepherd next week for some of the same myself ;-)
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I climbed this peak from the Tuttle Creek side years ago. We attempted a technical route on the south side, bailed off, had to bivy that night, and decided to climb it upstream from an easier route the next day. Also tried the east ridge, failed to find the route, again spent the night on the mountain, bailed the next day. Tricky peak because I think the route descriptions on the routes we attempted are not good. When we finally made it, we just picked our own route.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

When we finally made it, we just picked our own route.
You won't catch me attempting any of that five-point-whatever stuff-
davidsheridan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by davidsheridan »

Thanks for posting! Great pics and congrats on knocking that one off your list