Black Hawk Mountain: Laziest Trip Repor

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Black Hawk Mountain: Laziest Trip Repor

Post by c9h13no3 »

So lazy I couldn't even finish writing the stupid title.

I was solo this past Saturday, so I just picked the closest SPS peak to my house that was on a road closed during winter (gotta save Tahoe peaks for winter). Black Hawk Mountain it was!

I was on call for work on Sunday, but I had Saturday free. Woke up at 4AM, threw my running gear in the truck, and was at Kennedy Meadows by 7:30. I didn't do a whole lot of research beforehand, just figured "go south on trail til you can cross the creek, cross, then go south until you run out of up". That and some peakbagger reports would do, the whole Emigrant Wilderness is like class 2 granite.

8.5 hours, car to car, on horse poop trails & pleasant granite slabs. The trail was somewhat runnable, made good time. Cross country slabs made for a lot of easy travel. Still not fast like a trail though. Not a bad time for a hiker, but pretty crappy for a supposed runner (I am not a good runner).

Here's some pics:
IMG_1370.JPG

I called my mom from the summit while hiding behind a rock from raging wind. Found Powen Ru's recently placed summit register inside a tomato sauce jar.
IMG_1372.JPG
IMG_1394.JPG

I came across a party of 4 people fishing at the big Lewis Lake. And I found a pair of sandals at the lake outlet (free swag!). They were decrepit as hell, and I threw them away (not so swaggy).
IMG_1386.JPG

IMG_1384.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Black Hawk Mountain: Laziest Trip Repor

Post by giantbrookie »

That's a long dayhike to that summit that covers quite a range in different scenery. Nice photos from a viewpoint that is certainly off the beaten track. I like the summit view to the south. I didn't realize the view was so good from there (have been to Iceland-Sardella-Lewis' but not Black Hawk Mtn summit) but it makes sense when figuring the topographic situation. You can really pick up a lot of the major summits of Yosemite from there, plus a few to the south of that. For example, just to the left of Lyell you'll see a fairly sharp peak to the left of a higher one with a bulkier profile. That is Banner and Ritter. Of the spots en route, my favorite (aesthetically) is Middle Lewis (the largest Lewis, which you have a nice photo of), which I think is the most scenic of the lakes in that highland area (edging out Iceland). Fish aren't so big in there, though (small to medium brookies).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

giantbrookie wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:55 amjust to the left of Lyell you'll see a fairly sharp peak to the left of a higher one with a bulkier profile. That is Banner and Ritter.
Yeah, it looked like Banner-Ritter to me, but it also looked lower than Lyell, which I knew not to be the case.

I also figured I'd see the Sawtooth Ridge, but it seems blocked by Tower & Forsyth.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by paul »

That whole ridge from Granite Dome to Mosquito pass has great views and is a fun walk, with some nice wildflowers in season.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

Lazy, but works for me.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.