North Peak North Ridge route

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
matbat17
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: North Peak North Ridge route

Post by matbat17 »

Thanks for all the info. I have been along the East ridge route of Mt Conness several times.
How does it compare ?
Thanks
themtsarecalling
Topix Acquainted

Post by themtsarecalling »

I did this route this past August as a link up with the North Ridge of Conness. The second notch had some exposed slabs to work around and some steep class 4 up and out the other side. I wound up in some more class 4 terrain by not staying to the ridge after the final notch but that can probably be avoided. Hope this helps:

https://TheMtsAreCalling.com/north
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Very impressive! Especially since you were carrying climbing gear and rope(s). Did you use one rope or take two thinner ropes? Did you have to set up all rappel anchors or was there some set gear? I did the west ridge of Conness years ago and it is a very fun route. I recall the rock was very solid- did you also have good solid rock?
themtsarecalling
Topix Acquainted

Post by themtsarecalling »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:58 pm Very impressive! Especially since you were carrying climbing gear and rope(s). Did you use one rope or take two thinner ropes? Did you have to set up all rappel anchors or was there some set gear? I did the west ridge of Conness years ago and it is a very fun route. I recall the rock was very solid- did you also have good solid rock?
Thanks! I brought a thin 60 meter 8 mm twin rope, that I was planning on retiring soon. I thought that length would be overkill but I was glad for it on the second rappel, got me to much more secure ground. The two rap stations were in good shape hitting it later in the season, although I brought extra webbing with me in case I needed to leave anything.

The rock on the north ridge was incredibly solid, I think the only time I encountered anything loose was traversing beneath the first tower. The northeast ridge of North Peak was quite solid as well, although certainly less traveled than Conness.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I am no longer climbing, but did most of my alpine climbs with twin ropes (never did any solo technical climbing). Although total weight is more than one large diameter rope, on a long approach each of us could carry one lighter rope rather than load down one person with all the rope weight. We would clip alternate biners to reduce rope drag. The ability to do a full length rappel was a great advantage on long routes. I have been out of climbing long enough that I am not sure if double rope technique is done much any more. When we did, it was considered very "European".