Suggestions for scrambling routes in cold seasons

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
iceboal
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Suggestions for scrambling routes in cold seasons

Post by iceboal »

Hi all, I plan to train my aerobic endurance, route finding skills, and scrambling / boulder hopping efficiency in preparation for more strenuous peak baggings next summer.

Any suggestion for class 2-3 routes that can be day hiked during cold seasons and have less/no snow falls? Asking because I think I'm not ready for snow & rock mixed conditions. Otherwise, perhaps I can watch weather reports closely and monitor snow forcasts, but it's harder to plan ahead and error-proning.

Thanks in advance.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Suggestions for scrambling routes in cold seasons

Post by c9h13no3 »

iceboal wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:39 pm Hi all, I plan to train my aerobic endurance, route finding skills, and scrambling / boulder hopping efficiency in preparation for more strenuous peak baggings next summer.

Any suggestion for class 2-3 routes that can be day hiked during cold seasons and have less/no snow falls? Asking because I think I'm not ready for snow & rock mixed conditions. Otherwise, perhaps I can watch weather reports closely and monitor snow forcasts, but it's harder to plan ahead and error-proning.
I usually just trail run/hike in the winter to keep my fitness decent. Course, I let my fitness slide a bit in winter anyways, I get injured if I train at full intensity year round. I'll do some roped climbing with friends if they want to go to Castle Rock or whatever, but if you're looking for snow free scrambling in like February, the options aren't of Sierra quality or nearly as plentiful.

Where generally are you driving from? Say "SoCal" and you'll have way more options within a short drive for rock scrambling in winter. Course, snow is fun too, could just learn to embrace it. Mountains without snow feel naked & weird.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
iceboal
Topix Novice

Post by iceboal »

c9h13no3 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:55 pm
Where generally are you driving from?
Thanks c9h13no3, I live in the NorCal. Driving to the east / south Sierra would still be OK but it'll be more of a planned trip instead of weekend exercises.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

iceboal wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:46 pm Thanks c9h13no3, I live in the NorCal. Driving to the east / south Sierra would still be OK but it'll be more of a planned trip instead of weekend exercises.
Some random thoughts within a 6 hr drive:

Pico Blanco via either the south east face or the north ridge. Really nice down there in Big Sur, and there's some other scrambles in that area if you don't mind brutal hikes.

In Sunol Park there's something called the "W Tree Rock Scramble", I haven't checked it out, but I've heard it's a class 2 scramble up a creek bed while dodging poison oak. It's actually on the park map.

Yosemite Valley has a ton of stuff that's often snow free, but there's often manzanita/poison oak. Plus you can get into pretty stiff terrain up there if your route finding stinks.

Strawberry Peak in SoCal is Class 3 and a worthy peak, there's a few other scrambles down there.

The Southern Sierra is often snow free pretty quickly after weather, check out maybe Owens Peak or Spanish Needle and the peaks in that area. But you'll need to check the satellite images to see if it's snow covered before you go.

And Death Valley & desert ranges have a huge number of scrambles, but it's a long drive that I've never done.

Many peaks around Tahoe have rock scrambles that are almost always snow free, but the approach is over snow on snowshoes. Castle Peak comes to mind, it'd be hard to get into avalanche trouble on the standard route.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
iceboal
Topix Novice

Post by iceboal »

Big thanks for the suggestions! Time to work on my TODO list :).