TR: Hoover Wilderness, Whorl Mtn, Oct. 26-29 2020

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Hoover Wilderness, Whorl Mtn, Oct. 26-29 2020

Post by Wandering Daisy »

My fault- sorry I did not word that better. I was not saying your route was wrong, just wonder about the thinking behind other's route plans. I get stuck in the rut in my route planning and always learn from others' reasoning.

In 2018 I did a one-way trip from Saddlebag Lake to Twin Lakes 9/17-21 and spent a few hours day-hiking from the trail to viewpoints that looked down on Little Slide Canyon. The photography was great! In retrospect I wish I would have camped there and spent more time exploring. I instead went over the next pass north and out by Robinson Lake, just because of my previous troubles finding the route in Little Slide. I think someone on this forum reported having to be rescued from Little Slide and I was hesitant to go solo since I did not have any PLB.

An aside- a fellow who I climbed with and who was my calculus tutor at U. Washington put up one of the first technical routes on Incredible Hulk.
commonloon
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by commonloon »

No worries! I was just attempting to describe what thinking went into it. I do remember someone from HST sliding on some hard snow into the creek. Little Slide canyon seemed pretty mellow without snow.

Very cool about your tutor.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

I usually don’t check the Peak Bagging forum since I’m not a climber, but happened to see this yesterday due to the Hoover Wilderness heading. Nice reports Cameron and CommonLoon.

I am the HST member who was rescued in Little Slide Canyon in 2019. Here is the original post on the incident:

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=19980

The more detailed description is in the trip report I posted in January, which you can find here. The accident description begins on page 20:

http://laurencebrauer.com/Images/TripRe ... ler-19.pdf

Here is what I posted regarding Little Slide Canyon in response to BSquared’s query on Little Slide Canyon:

“I do not think Little Slide Canyon is inherently overly dangerous. There was a use trail from Ice Lake Pass down to where my accident occurred. From the area near the Incredible Hulk on down, the trail was obvious. If one goes late season when there is not a lot of snow, it is class 2 at the worst and class 1for much of the hike. If I’d been over the snowfield where my accident occurred a couple of days earlier or a couple of days later, I doubt there would have been a problem. Unfortunately, I happened to be in the right place at the wrong time (or is it the wrong place at the wrong time?).”
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Thanks @LMBSGV. You report was worth another read. We all go out into the wilderness time after time without anything going amiss, it is important to remember it can and does every so often.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

With the restrictions, Toiyabe NF areas became more popular late season. Mornings were dropping into low 30's by each morning on our car camping trip in that area 10 days before and one morning I did hike up to 8.1k on Blacksmith Creek. We didn't see much smoke either.

https://www.davidsenesac.com/2020_Trip_ ... html#oct17

After that trip noticed on GE the colorful metamorphic geology about Twin Peaks so created a plan for an August trip up Horse Creek Canyon to upper Spiller Creek where you climbed Whorl. From the 7.1k trailhead will just climb a short distance to 8.2k the first day, 9.4k the second day, and the third day over the pass to base camp a couple nights at maybe 10.2k.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

That Matterhorn picture is amazing, can't do something like that with an iPhone. Looks like you caught the aspens in a more yellow state than when we were there.