Peak bagging/scrambling near Kearsarge Pass

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
SDTrojan
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Peak bagging/scrambling near Kearsarge Pass

Post by SDTrojan »

Thanks Explore. Appreciate it.
I'll keep that in mind and back off if I don't feel comfortable.
I downloaded quite a few pictures and trip reports of the traverse that discuss the beta - hopefully that helps.

Couldn't find any about the western ridge of University, so still not sure if I'll try that one.
ExploreABitMore
Topix Regular

Post by ExploreABitMore »

SDTrojan wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:33 am Thanks Explore. Appreciate it.
I'll keep that in mind and back off if I don't feel comfortable.
I downloaded quite a few pictures and trip reports of the traverse that discuss the beta - hopefully that helps.

Couldn't find any about the western ridge of University, so still not sure if I'll try that one.
If the W Ridge is the same as, or uses, "University Shoulder", I have a friend that descended that route to get to Kearsrage Lakes and then hop over and combine Rixford into the same day. He thought it was a pretty miserable route, as it was pretty loose and sloppy. He thought the N ridge (his ascent route) was a much better route for climbing University

Have fun! Almost can't go wrong, the views and scenery usually make up for any drudgery one might encounter in the area ;)
Sierra Nevada, Mojave Desert, Night Sky Photography: http://www.evanthomasphoto.com/
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

harlen that way up university is fun if you find the more solid rock! day hiked it then over to independence peak and back to onion valley!

as for the traverse dragon/ gould yes if you get into anything too difficult you are going the wrong way! there are many pictures and a youtube of the dragon class 3 section. If you dont like exposure than dragon is not your peak.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
96avs01
Topix Novice

Post by 96avs01 »

Dragon Peak is a super fun scramble! But you need to embrace the exposure. Here's a video for perspective of the summit block traverse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpMDoSQ30rQ
Tread light, shred hard