Peak bagging/scrambling near Kearsarge Pass

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
SDTrojan
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Peak bagging/scrambling near Kearsarge Pass

Post by SDTrojan »

Hey everyone,

I have three days off this weekend and have a permit for Kearsarge Pass.
I've been before, but only to the pass, so this time I'd like to make it down to the actual Kearsarge lakes and camp there.
I've recently been getting into more technical outings (took a 4 day mountaineering class and a six day ice climbing class), and would love to get up to a peak to enjoy a sunset/sunrise.
I'll be solo, so would prefer class 2-3 scrambles.
Mt. Gould seems to be an obvious choice, seems like it's class 2-3 all the way, and is not far off the trail.
Is the traverse to Dragon Peak difficult?
Any other choices/worthwhile scenic options?

Thanks in advance!
TurboHike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Peak bagging/scrambling near Kearsarge Pass

Post by TurboHike »

Mount Bago has nice views, class 1-2 from the east, but a slightly longer hike, about 6 miles round trip from Kearsarge Lakes.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

traverse to dragon maybe? a couple spots of class 3, then you have dragon that has a class 3 little exposed ledge to the summit.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Mount Cotter
SDTrojan
Topix Acquainted

Post by SDTrojan »

Thanks a lot for the great suggestions!

Mt. Gould + the traverse to Dragon seems like it would be a really fun day.
Looking at trail reports for the trail itself, it seems there is no snow.
I'll probably bring lightweight aluminum crampons + an ice axe for the scramble, just in case those are holding snow.

Mount Bago sounds really nice too - will probably save that for the last day.

Mount Cotter seems like it has a much longer approach, so I'd probably save that for a future, longer trip.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

University Peak has numerous routes, and a tremendous long view! The west ridge/west slope looks interesting- probably class 3 in places, and can be reached via the ridge at the SE end of Kearsarge Pinnacles. Good luck, let us know how it goes SD.

100_3794.jpg
The blue line marks a route I've always wanted to try on the north side of Uni. Peak. It would have to begin in the upper Onion Valley basin, around Bench Lake, so that may not be in your cards this time. The green line marks the easy west ridge, and you can head on and off the western slopes along the way. That's the route that could begin at the col at the southeast end of the Kearsarge Pinnacles.

100_4403.jpg
This green line is about the route seen in the first photo. This photo is taken from the last lake in Center Basin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

I haven't done Dragon so I cannot say much about that. University is a fun peak to head up from Kearsarge Lakes. Bago should have killer sunset views, the views on Bago are pretty rad in general. Rixford is a fun easy trip from Kearsarge Lakes.
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
SDTrojan
Topix Acquainted

Post by SDTrojan »

University Peak looks rad, and seems to be an amazing sunset spot. I might give it a go. Thanks a lot Harlen! Will post a TR.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Great, good luck SD. I just added some photos and changed the notes to be more accurate. Cheers, Ian.

p.s. Dragon would be the really "rad" climb.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
ExploreABitMore
Topix Regular

Post by ExploreABitMore »

You might want to put your expectations at more of a Class 4 feel for Dragon's summit block. Easy moves, but the exposure is more than most C3 routes. Also, The traverse to Dragon (from Gould) requires a bit of route-finding in one area to keep it at C3.
Sierra Nevada, Mojave Desert, Night Sky Photography: http://www.evanthomasphoto.com/