Mt. Crocker from upper Pioneer Basin

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
westmatt
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Mt. Crocker from upper Pioneer Basin

Post by westmatt »

My people have dropped away, and my Pioneer Basin excursion is now going to be a solo affair. I anticipate being more cautious in my exploration as a result, but am still considering trying to get up on Crocker, starting from the upper PB lake at 11,200', right below the peak, and going north up to the ridge between Stanford and Crocker, then following that up to the peak. The topo intervals don't make it look too bad, just wondered if anyone had done that route and if this seems doable, and likewise, going the other direction to Stanford.

Opinions?

thanks,
-Matt
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Mt. Crocker from upper Pioneer Basin

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Matt,'About 10 years ago, we took a trip with two Stanford grads (husband/wife) and they scrambled up Stanford from the ridge you're talking about. I wandered most of the way up Crocker, but not all the way, so I cannot comment authoritatively on the last bit (I was late to join my wife for a stroll). I'm also not the photographer in the family, so no enticing shots to clue you in. From the sounds of it, Stanford was the easier of the two, but I've never been up Stanford. Regardless, the scenery is super! Cameron
ExploreABitMore
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ExploreABitMore »

I went up that route on Crocker a couple years ago. I really enjoyed it.

There is an obstacle part way up the ridge that serves as the crux. I dropped down too low on the way up, heeding some bad advice I found on the Internet. Looser, harder C3. On the way back, I realized you can skirt right by it. Easier C2/3 on solid rock. The rest of the route is pretty mellow.

I have some photos from that day at the link below, which I believe should be accessible.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 343&type=3
Sierra Nevada, Mojave Desert, Night Sky Photography: http://www.evanthomasphoto.com/
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

Agree with Explore, there was 1 obstacle heading up to Crocker that was easily worked around if you're comfortable with low cl.3. That obvious low point in the ridge between Stanford and Crocker, south of Steelhead Lake is a great way to access both peaks. We dropped off Stanford down 1 of the chutes back into Pioneer to Lake 11,026 and it was loose but nothing worse than 1 would encounter on any other peak bagging mission to the High Sierra. If you don't like the look of that exit route you can just head back west to where you came from. Pioneer Basin is 1 of my favs, if you've never been make sure you allow for a layover day or 2 to really explore if possible.
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
gregw822
Topix Regular

Post by gregw822 »

I did Crocker quite a few years ago, one of my first Sierra climbs. I\As I recall, it was almost all Class 2. I remember very little Class 3 terrain. But, it was a long time ago.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Was just looking at that this morning as may be in PB mid July. My interest isn't the top of Crocker but rather the sub-peak just east at 12200+ that is a location for a mid morning panorama photograph at the Red & White to Red Slate to Baldwin with lakes below. On GE looks all class 2 however from there beyond a small saddle to Crocker is not.
westmatt
Topix Acquainted

Post by westmatt »

I appreciate all of the replies, I will give it a shot and see how it goes. Can always turn around. I'll have a couple of days to knock around that area.

-Matt
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

How did it go? Did you make it up Crocker?
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
westmatt
Topix Acquainted

Post by westmatt »

I made it up to the saddle btw. Crocker and Stanford, but the area started to get smoky, so I decided against it. Really enjoyed the hike up there, though. Nice and empty.