Condition of Glacier SW of Banner?

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
scerny
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Condition of Glacier SW of Banner?

Post by scerny »

This coming Sunday 7/4 I'm climbing Banner via the glacier from Catherine. I've already packed my crampons/ice axe, but I'm wondering if anyone has recent intel on the glacier? I would love to carry just microspikes/hiking poles if the snow is soft enough, suncupped enough, or receded enough to stay on rocks. Not sure how hard or soft it is as this point. I should be on the glacier late morning/early afternoon.
cantare
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Condition of Glacier SW of Banner?

Post by cantare »

I have no direct experience, but the Ritter SE thread I just posted has some relevant discussion of this route.

Also see this: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6907
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

I haven't been there recently. However, I would expect some fairly hard suncupped ice going up from the lake. So, I would take microspikes and trekking poles. That gets you up to the saddle. From there, it will be just large talus chunks.

Technically, I don't believe that it is a glacier, although it is very similar.
scerny
Topix Novice

Post by scerny »

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate it. Last time I climbed Banner was in high school in the late 80's. I have only some faint memories of that trip, though. I'm super exited to tackle it again decades later.