Owens Peak

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
wingding

Owens Peak

Post by wingding »

I'm going to head up to Indian Wells this coming Saturday to day hike from Indian Wells Canyon to Owens Peak in the Southern Sierra. If anyone else is interested, you're welcome to join me on the hike :) . I believe the hike is around 7 miles round-trip with 3,200 feet of elevation gain.
wingding

Owens Peak Hike Yesterday - report and pictures

Post by wingding »

Our hike to Owens Peak (8453') in the Southern Sierra via Indian Wells Canyon yesterday turned out really nice. That route lets you meander for 2 miles up the canyon and then dishes out 2,000 feet of gain over the last mile (total gain about 3,000 feet).

We were able to check out some pictographs along the way.

I uploaded some pictures to webshots:

http://community.webshots.com/album/497622813ANaIsV
Skibum
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by Skibum »

Very cool Wingding! Interesting pictographs. Was this area south of the Kennedy Mdws area?
wingding

Post by wingding »

Yes, it's south of Kennedy Meadows - a few miles north of the intersection of 178 and 14 off of 14.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by madeintahoe »

Wingding I love the rock art pictures you got! Beautiful pictures and neat area you hiked. It looks so nice and warm there. Those slabs look like they were fun to hike on.
Sometimes I wish I lived more south..especially in the winter months....there is some really cool areas down in those parts to hike more in the fall and winter months.
Thank you for sharing!