Mt. Langley/Cottonwood Lakes

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
mountaineer
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Mt. Langley/Cottonwood Lakes

Post by mountaineer »

I was kicking around the idea of going into the Langley area this summer with my dad. I was wondering if there is good mountain scenery to photograph? Any good fishing in the area? How about crowds in July? From what I have read, the Cottonwood Lakes/Langley area is easily accessible so I was paranoid about possible crowding.

Any info on the area is appreciated.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

The views from Langley are quite nice because it sort of sits on the southern margin of the highest Sierra. To the south you have the more rolling topography typical of the southernmost Sierra, whereas to the north you have superb close up views of the rugged crest including LeConte, McAdie, and the east side of Whitney. Westward you look across the Kern to the Kaweahs and the Great Western Divide.

The lakes below New Army Pass are not as crowded as one might think. It seems to me the majority of folks go to the Cottonwoods and there are a number of little cul de sacs elsewhere in the basin where one can camp without large crowds. I've camped at High Lake twice during July and there was only one other party there. All of the lakes of the basin, including the Cottonwoods have goldens. The top size in most of the lakes is about 12". There are special regulations in the entire basin requiring barbless hooks. The bag limit in all but the Cottonwoods is the standard 5, but there are additional restrictions on the Cottonwoods themselves (bag limit zero: C and R only).
Last edited by giantbrookie on Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

I camped at Long Lake during a BP trip a couple of summers ago. It was fairly crowded. I also came across used toilet paper scattered around the bushes on the trail side of the lake! Fairly disgusting! :puke: I'd like to think it was day hikers, not BP'ers, that were responsible. High Lake was empty. This was in late August. A lot of people were going over New Army Pass. Long Lake is pretty, but I think I'd avoid it again unless it was fairly early in the season. South Lake was also fairly busy. A woman got lost while I was out there and I was amazed at the amount of people that joined in on the search, luckily for her (we found her). Weekends are probably fairly busy. Don't know about the Cottonwood Lakes; looks like more choices in that area; that's where I'll be next month. Try to avoid weekends. The limit for the trailhead is, I believe, 60 people! :eek:
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Muir Lake is nice. Not as crowded as the other lakes. I don't know about the fishing, though
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

It's a great area, and as others have noted, not nearly as crowded as one might expect. Long Lake and Cottonwood #3 are the most crowded and I would avoid them. I like High Lake -- never seen anyone else camp there. I also like the hill above Cottonwood Lake #2 -- again, a spot that's usually empty.
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

Thanks for all the info. I sure like the ideas presented so far.