Mt. Tyndall - Class 2?

Topics related to peak bagging, rock climbing and bouldering in the foothills and high country of the Sierra Nevada. Be sure to also check out the Information Booth forum category to learn from / see if you can contribute to a profile for High Sierra 13'ers, 14'ers and cross country passes.
Dfarrell
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Mt. Tyndall - Class 2?

Post by Dfarrell »

New(ish)member here, been stalking in the shadows a bit after moving here to CA from CO. Any thoughts on putting two separate ratings for routes? Utilizing a scale of 1-5 for the route difficulty as always, but the addition of 1-5 for exposure (1 an easy stroll with a fall resulting in laughter and embarrassment, 2 some easy exposure with a fall resulting in mostly minor injury, 3 a fall is injury, 4 a fall is serious injury/death, 5 a fall is certain death).
Two ratings will allow people to make a judgement call based on not only physical ability but also taking into account the mental side of things. For instance when I had company visit the Rockies from sea level hikes could be tailored to the guests physical condition as well as how much risk they seek/can handle.
Just an idea from a fresh perspective....

**side note, I realized this is a mixed board with climbing as well as hiking, so it may be a complete different world in terms of ratings. I'm not a climber and haven't any idea (that goes for most things as well!)
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Welcome to the HST!

Here's a link to some established definitions: http://www.climber.org/data/decimal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Russ
artrock23
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by artrock23 »

Wandering Daisy wrote:. Whenever I find that the "route description" does not at all match the terrain in front of me, guess what- I am not on the same route. It is VERY easy to get off route from what the guide book is describing. I take all guide route with a grain of salt, and then go where I deem is the best route.
Bingo!

Also, although the Secor guide is indispensable, i've found that some of his class ratings are inaccurate.