Sleeping pad R-factors

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Sleeping pad R-factors

Post by Wandering Daisy »

https://sectionhiker.com/the-new-sleepi ... s-arrived/

This was on another backpack web site.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Sleeping pad R-factors

Post by fishmonger »

Cool. Good info and the ratings of the pads I know go along with my own "butt ranking." Wonder how much R is added by my 1/8" closed cell foam layer I bring along for protection of the pad and comfort in the tent when not sitting on the inflatable (I only sleep on it, never sit to cook or do anything else). That thin layer of added closed cell foam by itself is already amazingly warm compared to the bare tent floor. Combined it has to be bumping up the value of the pad quite a bit.

I am glad to see my winter pad from Exped actually does have a really good R factor, however, I don't trust their design any longer after having 2 out of 3 of their pads rip their baffles within a few weeks of total use. The other thing about the down pad is that the down will constantly pool at the far end of the pad where you finish rolling it up. It is extremely difficult to re-distribute the down evenly throughout the long chambers and you will find it clump on one end after just few days of use. One has to take the pads upright while inflated and pound the down to the opposite end. It's a drag. I doubt I'd use it again unless my Therm-a-Rest blows up. My added foam pad plus the Therm-a-Rest Xlite should be close to the R-factor of the Downmat.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

I believe the R factor is accumulative across multiple pads so if the foam pad has an R factor of 2 and the air pad has an R factor of 3 then your system is an R factor of 5.

I no longer trust just carrying an air pad alone. Its a real pain when they leak and it seems like they always do.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Snowtrout
Topix Regular

Post by Snowtrout »

Thank you for posting the update Daisy.

I actually used the Section hiker review and others recommendations when I bought my wife a new pad for Christmas: S2S Womens Ether Light size large. All the reviews said it was comfortable for side sleepers (wife's biggest complaint with our old pads), R rating of 4.1 and weighed 18.7oz. Seemed like a comfortable, wide, warm and light pad. But, when I got it in the mail, a sticker had been put over the R rating and weight on the box. Now the R=3.5 and weight is 20oz. Not a huge difference but I am now a little concerned that she might get cold now when the temps in the Sierra dip into the 20's.

Any thoughts on if a 3.5 R rating is about right for a women hiking in the Sierra?
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

Snowtrout wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:21 pm Thank you for posting the update Daisy.

I actually used the Section hiker review and others recommendations when I bought my wife a new pad for Christmas: S2S Womens Ether Light size large. All the reviews said it was comfortable for side sleepers (wife's biggest complaint with our old pads), R rating of 4.1 and weighed 18.7oz. Seemed like a comfortable, wide, warm and light pad. But, when I got it in the mail, a sticker had been put over the R rating and weight on the box. Now the R=3.5 and weight is 20oz. Not a huge difference but I am now a little concerned that she might get cold now when the temps in the Sierra dip into the 20's.

Any thoughts on if a 3.5 R rating is about right for a women hiking in the Sierra?
My wife and I both have those pads. I got the women's model because I'm only 5'7", and because it has a higher R rating than the men's version. We used them last summer on our Sierra hike to the 1000 Island Lake area in late July, paired with 20 degree bags. They were warm enough then. For Christmas, we both got quilts, her a 0 degree, and me a 10 degree. We've been out twice in our local mountains (San Gabriels) with the nighttime temps in the low 40s high 30s, and both times we both got cold. I have an XTherm that I may use in colder weather, or bring a CCF pad to put underneath. Not sure.
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

Thinking about it further, I think the reason we got cold is that the ground was colder on our local hikes than it was up in the Sierra, even though we had rain and hail on four straight days, and there was still snow around. The ground had a few months to warm up from winter.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

It appears that Thermarest recently increased the R-values for several pads. The X-lite is now 4.2, the women's X-lite is 5.4, and the X-therm is 6.9.
My metabolism drops crazy-low when sleeping, so if it is any guide, I start to feel some cold in my 10* bag around 30*. Accordingly, I have been favoring the X-therm instead of the X-lite, it really makes a difference for me.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

CAMERONM wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:52 pm It appears that Thermarest recently increased the R-values for several pads. The X-lite is now 4.2, the women's X-lite is 5.4, and the X-therm is 6.9.
Did they improve the sleeping pads, or did they just make the number look better?
wsp_scott
Topix Regular

Post by wsp_scott »

bobby49 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:01 am
CAMERONM wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:52 pm It appears that Thermarest recently increased the R-values for several pads. The X-lite is now 4.2, the women's X-lite is 5.4, and the X-therm is 6.9.
Did they improve the sleeping pads, or did they just make the number look better?
Reading the original linked post, the pads are the same, just the numbers are updated
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

Actually, upon further examination I see that a new ASTM standard was developed and that the new ratings are the result of that standard. So at least several different manufacturer pads will now be tested according to the same standard:
https://www.thermarest.com/blog/rating- ... -standard/
I have never had any "x" product break, but I have twice requested and received replacements. When you hold an Xlite up to light, after some time you can see a clear body impression of the reflective internal coating breaking down, sort of like the holy shroud. Add to that, if you are a side-sleeper and it breaks down where you are closest to the ground, that is double-trouble. In general however I have no complaints and find these pads the most comfortable I have ever used.