ULA Catalyst

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: ULA Catalyst

Post by michaelzim »

@freestone Yes, I saw that all the "baby powders" are now cornstarch, but also figured that it would not hold up like Talcum Powder as is used in cooking as a thickening agent in gravies etc. Thus is much more hydrophilic (attractive to water and moisture) than Talc, which is a silicate mineral.
Did not sound like a good option for a backpack in a rainstorm. Visions of "glue" arose in my mind!
I'm hoping to talk to the Teflon Powder people about their product.

Thanks though ~ Zimichael
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

Michael, I have not had a squeaking problem.

I ordered an extra addon pocket for the right shoulder strap and am glad I did. It holds the DEET, sunblock etc. so I can get it out easily without taking the pack off.

I have a very old early model Bearvault. It is the size of the current 500 but has a different top. It fits perfectly horizontally in the Catalyst. They seem like they were made for each other. I put some small and squishy stuff in the bottom, then the bearvault horizontally, then sleeping bag and other things on top. If I put the can too close to the top of the pack it feels top heavy. I found that the side of the Bearvault, when placed horizontally, did not poke through the back of the Catalyst--it was firm enough to prevent that. Of course the Bearvault is 10 ounces heavier than the Bearicade, but you can get Bearicades custom cut to size.
michaelzim
Topix Regular

Post by michaelzim »

@kpeter

Thanks for the feedback, and indeed good to hear that not all ULAs squeak. I have feeling the Talc or PTFE powder (Teflon) will solve the problem.

Re the ol' bearcan issue. What you say is intriguing!
kpeter wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:26 pm I have a very old early model Bearvault. It is the size of the current 500 but has a different top. It fits perfectly horizontally in the Catalyst. They seem like they were made for each other.
The standard (new I guess) BV-500 does fit horizontally in the Catalyst but for sure it is a big can and a slightly less tight fit would be nice - let alone a lighter iteration!

When I was on the JMT/PCT passing Sapphire Lake I saw a guy off the trail about 50 yards away with all his gear spread out on the ground. Standing "above it all" as a centerpiece was this huge bearcan. It was so much bigger than anything else it was absurd. I yelled over: "Is that a BV-500???"
He acknowledged with a yes so I went over to chat. If memory serves he had a ULA pack or maybe it was a Mariposa - anyway, he was lamenting the size of the can (for good reason) which was stuffed to the gills with food and 'garbage' food wrappers, etc. He was trying to find a way to make it all fit better. And this after coming all the way from Mexico. Still being "terrorized" by the darn bearcan lament!

In short. Your comment of: "They seem to be made for each other" does not apply to a lot of can/pack combos. For sure my Bearikade Weekender is not as tall [10.5" v. 12.7" for a BV-500] but that little bit extra width/diameter [9" for Bearikades v. 8.7" for the BV-500] makes an inordinate difference. That 0.3" means it does not fit horizontally without risk of abrading through the pack walls, plus is hard to get out. So it has to go vertically (like in all UL packs I think) and that width pushes out the "front" (= the face of a pack not against your back) mesh pocket and cinch-cord to such a degree that it is hard to use easily without some effort at getting even maps in and out.
A smaller diameter can would reduce that problem and I for sure need that mesh pocket as the Catalyst does not have a "top/lid pocket" for my on trail use stuff. My old Garcia can with straight sides fits perfectly, and horizontally, in about any pack I have tried and seems to be the ideal size - but weighs 3 pounds, so a full pound more that the Bearikade Weekender. Sigh!

Basta! - Again, thanks for the comments.

Michaelzim
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular

Post by oldhikerQ »

Wow.
This seemingly simple thread sure took on a life of its own. After much thought, i ordered a SO custom 4800 pack. The comments about the heat of the ULA turned me away, as i don't like the feel of a sweaty back while shuffling down the trail. The tipping point for the SO was that the copy said that all bear cans fit horizontally. I assumed that that would include the ubiquitous Garcia (12" high x 8.8" dia). I further assumed that if the Garcia would fit, my custom Bearikade (12"high x 9.0" dia; less that a quarter inch larger in diameter) would likewise fit. Turns out, i was dead wrong. My Bearikade fit, but with the fabric stretched to the point where i figured that it would end up with holes where the edges of the can pressed against the fabric. I fiddled with the bear can horizontally, but in the end returned the SO pack, since that put me right back where i was with my Osprey. The SO was very comfortable after a few quick adjustments, but the can orientation was just wrong for me. The folks at SO were very helpful throughout the process, and i really wish that it would have worked out.
On to the next plan (7.4?) this fall. Everything old is new again.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
michaelzim
Topix Regular

Post by michaelzim »

@oldhikerQ
Yep, the bearcan can of worms can really be...well, a can of worms!
That very small increase in diameter of the Bearikades makes a disproportionate difference to the outcome. It seems so minimal but has a big impact on fit - especially horizontally. The Bearikade can fit horizontally in the ULA Catalyst once it has stretched out from its newness a bit (as mentioned/discovered earlier in this thread), but I still do not trust it that way.

A recent 10 day trip to Tunemah (lots of miles and jiggling around of pack) put another test on the fit as I had my Bearikade Weekender vertically and a T-shirt snugged over the top at both sides perpendicular to my back - just to be safe against wearing into the pack itself. [So to explain that differently, the can was vertical and I had the T-shirt cushioning the sharp lid edges which were against my back, and against the "front" = the backmost side = of the pack].
Result...within a day the T-shirt had a hole worn through it! So yes, even vertically there is "wear pressure" there. It was too late for the T-shirt but my next step was to put my old chamois-type "Paktowel" over the top of the can as it is lot stronger material than cotton. That seemed to work, but it still makes me cautious, and I wish the Bearikades had a more rounded top edge like the BV-500 or the old Garcias.

Incidentally, there may be a 'better bearcan' in the works for 2021. I sure hope so, as the "ideal" has not been made yet in my opinion. The old, straight-sided Garcia fits almost any pack with ease, so is great...except the weight! Three pounds is too much.

Different subject but still ULA Catalyst = that "squeaking" problem...

The Teflon powder solved it for the first 4 days. Was totally silent. Then had some odd squeaking for a few days before I pulled the foam frame kit out a bit and banged the powder around. That helped and it was quiet again. A little squeaking started up at the end of the 10 days but I could jiggle it out while still on the move.
When back home I contacted ULA about it and they have found the best solution is to just send a new replacement frame kit (foam pad and the stays) and that seems to cure it. So they did that for me free of charge. I replaced the old one (and it may have been slightly different in size - hard to tell exactly) but will have to wait for less smoke so I can do another trip to test it out - which hope to do within the next few weeks. Will report on the outcome in due course.
Other than the squeak thing I really like the pack!

Best ~ Michaelzim
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular

Post by oldhikerQ »

Michaelzim
I too am still worried about the relatively sharp edges of my Bearikade. Thing is, the aluminum ends are (likely) cut with a CNC machine, resulting in the right angle profile of those parts. Their website says that the aluminum parts are tumbled with glass beads to remove any sharp edges, but the right angle profile remains. I am going to take a fine file to the edges this winter and see if i can put some kind of radius on them. Has to be a small radius so as to not interfere with the integrity of the can. Expect to be filing for quite a while with said file. Then will buff the edges to remove any hidden sharp bits. Should be a good time.
Cheers
Robert Frost
michaelzim
Topix Regular

Post by michaelzim »

@oldhikerQ

Yep, I thought of doing the same thing with a file but wondered just how much it would help due the 'lack' of much metal there to work with. I guess the black Bearikade main sections are just high tech "pipes" that then become "cylinders" after cutting to length - with a pure 90 degree angle at the cutting circumferences. The bottom plate is adequately rounded (and safe) and I wish they had a similar setup on the top plates...but nope. That sharpish edge! Must have been some reason to leave that from a fabrication point of view I guess, as it does not bode well for tight fits and the constant jiggling of a pack when in motion.

Maybe you can get out your file sooner rather than later now that the forests have been closed again (big bummer!!!) c/o fires. Please let me know how it works out after you go at it (PM is fine too). I'm also hoping that a new, nicely rounded-edges, lightweight bearcan makes its appearance one day! It may not be quite as light as a Bearikade, but I would sacrifice some ounces to get a can that fits horizontally and safely - re the wearing problem.

Best ~ Michaelzim
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Wouldn't file it. put a cheap beanie over the end.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

Duct tape.
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular

Post by oldhikerQ »

rlown
cheap beanie seems like a good idea, but the extra grams... :eek:

bobby49
Duct tape would also work, but so inelegant. Would also seriously impact the feeling of the carefully curated sticker arrangement that i have embellished my can with. :nod:
Robert Frost