MP3 player for son?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

MP3 player for son?

Post by markskor »

Hey all you Santas out there...Help...
My 13 (going on 20) year-old son wants a MP3 player for Xmas. After looking at the various models - IPODS, Nano, Mini, etc, (too many if you ask me), I have narrowed it down to what I think is the best for his needs, - the IPOD mp3 "Mini " model - the one with 6 GB - he likes the silver. The ads say it holds 1500 songs, and the second generation now out touts an 18 hour battery life. In addition, the reviews also state that the earphones have a ++, good to excellent rating as to sound clarity. I looked at the Nano model too, but even though it would be my choice for me, it is so small that he will lose it in a second - kids -or have it swiped at school - way too easy.
Any thoughts - good or bad - about this Apple IPOD Mini 6 GB, 2nd generation model? Cost seems to be about $225, plus another $20 for the protective case. The clock is ticking.
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

I've had an Ipod mini for a few months now. Compared to the other apple Ipod's out there, I wouldn't want any other. It stores a lot (I have th 4gb model, its 2/3 full with 816 'items'), is relatively small, and pretty tough. Take the battery life statistic with a grain of salt: in my experience, with the volume up high enough to hear it, that time is severly reduced (I would say maybe cut in half). Also, without buying accessories, you need your computer to power it up.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

IPods are nice, but you might want to look beyond the good marketing Apple has done with the brand name. IPods are not the end-all, and that's not hating on Apple at all. IMHO, there are better options out there for less $$$. My suggestion is to look at publications like Wired Magazine and Consumer Reports.

Good luck,

ERIC