Backpacking Pants

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Ska-T
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Backpacking Pants

Post by Ska-T »

RichardCullip wrote:I like the Railriders Adventure Khaki pants.
I second that recommendation. My Adventure pants are the older model (Supplex) and are slightly lighter in weight. The Adventure pants are light and thin enough to be comfortable on hot sunny days and no sunscreen is required. They are strong enough to resist abrasion, like mild bushwhacking and sitting on rocks. Mosquitoes can't or at least haven't bitten through my Adventure pants in the 15+ years that I've used them, so no greasy repellant is needed. I used to hike in shorts, then carried them but didn't use them. Now I leave the shorts at home.
-Scott
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

I wear long pants habitually owing to two reasons: 1. I go off trail a lot and having the pants greatly reduces the abuse from brush and other things that I bang my legs into into. Even when I hike via a trail, the destination, usually a lake that I want to fish, usually requires some off trail hiking. 2. I am a total mosquito magnet, so the extra cover is appreciated.

In fact I also wear a lightweight, nicely ventilated, long sleeve shirt, that protects me from the brush abrasion, sun, and bugs, in addition to keeping me cool. A hat with a very good sized brim is also part of my sun protection and keep cool strategy and I always hike with one.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jbinsb
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: 3 day / 2 night Backpacking for beginners.

Post by jbinsb »

maverick wrote: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:23 pm Did you read the "Avoidance Techniques" thread posted earlier in this thread?
Nylon convertible pants, REI for example, work great. The allow you to partially
unzip allowing heat to escape, and the mosquitoes cannot penetrate thru them.
If you wear shorts, you will have to put sun screen on first, wait, then apply bug
juice. I personally do not like putting neither on and wear the long pants. If no
bug are around I can easily zip off the bottom halves.
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Hiking-Pa ... re#compare" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... post=72145" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PS Topic moved since it was getting away from the originally reason it was started.
I wear convertible pants converted to shorts during the day if not skeet-heavy. I never put sunscreen on my legs and don't get burned. I'm not LYING on the trail, so the angle of sun exposure is pretty steep.
phoenix2000
Topix Acquainted

Post by phoenix2000 »

I wear a hat, short sleeves and convertible pants converted to shorts at all times unless it gets cold and then I will attach the lower legs to my pants. If it gets really cold then I will put on both pairs of convertible pants that I take with me. I do wear sunscreen to avoid getting sunburned and if I have to choose between sunscreen and bug repellant, I choose sunscreen, I never mix the two. Mosquitoes do land on me but for some reason rarely bite and when they do my skin does not swell up or itch. I still find them very annoying though.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by CAMERONM »

I have enjoyed the feel and trim cut of the Arteryx Palisades for years. I roll them up to the top of my calf for ventilation, and keep them down when the sun and bugs are too much. They are extremely nice and also expensive. But since I am increasingly combining peak-bagging with off-trail, they are just not durable enough for sliding down steep passes; I shredded two last summer. I am now trying some heavier KUHL rock pants- half the price, heavier, not as nice, and we will see. It's a problem that I have not solved yet.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

One way to increase the life of your pants is to sew on a butt patch. I also wear knee high gaiters (MSR Rocky Mountain Highs), which protect the pant legs where they get most of the beatings from brush. These are the two areas that usually wear out the first. I do not know why manufacturers do not make pants with dual materials- tough material where needed and lighter where not needed.

However, I was surprised at the toughness of my Insect Shield CragHoppers. Given their very light weight I was expecting them to wear out quickly. So just the thickness/weight of the material is not the only factor in toughness.

Pants designed specifically for rock climbing tend to be tougher.