The Bear Canister Challenge

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: The Bear Canister Challenge

Post by FeetFirst »

nunatak wrote:My son made this pack for hauling a full size canister. It's under 20oz dry, and actually carries really well with a 30lbs+ load. The top sack is maybe 35 liter, so it's for an ultralight type approach. We have only used it once so far.

I like how I can get food out without halfway unpacking my gear, and how pack fabric is not what hits the ground first when setting it down, or when scrambling/downclimbing.

Actually, I am so in favor of bear cans that I usually just bring one regardless of whether it's required. All my packs have to hold one horizontally. Vertical carry is imo not great.

ImageImage 5-21-17 at 17.36 by jan nikolajsen, on Flickr
Awesome pack! I really like this setup. Any issues with a dense load being so low? My current pack feels best when a heavy can is positioned higher up, about level with my shoulders.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
nunatak
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: The Bear Canister Challenge

Post by nunatak »

I carried it for 7-8hrs on day one with 6 days of food (3 ppl/2 days) on 50/50 off trail terrain. It was no problem. That said, on most packs I've owned I carry the can near the bottom, perhaps just with some padding below to save the pack fabric.