InReach Rental Program Offer Inquiry

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

InReach Rental Program Offer Inquiry

Post by maverick »

These devices are expensive, and the fees add up too, but they do offer some security to those who venture into the backcountry, so those interested should not be disqualified because of cost.
Considering offering a program, where HST members could rent a Garmin InReach Mini for their trips.
Please let me know if something like this was available to you, whether you would be interested or not, I have to know whether there is enough of a demand for it, to make it worth while to buy the units and set up the program.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: InReach Rental Program Offer Inquiry

Post by rlown »

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks Russ, that's a good reference point, but way over priced, I don't plan to make a killing here, but a modest amount, the main goal is to help, if there is a demand.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Or, those of us with an InReach can just loan them out? It has to be enabled for a month at a time on the freedom plan, as it is dormant now. I have the 34 text message plan because I'll never even hit that unless I hike with someone else with an InReach which would only be used if separated.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Or, those of us with an InReach can just loan them out?
That would be even better, but I haven't seen a load of people advertising their InReach's for loan Russ.

rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

That wasn't the question you asked..
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

I don't think that I would be interested for weekend trips but for those longer trips it sounds very interesting.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Nevermind, not enough interest.

Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Mav, that was a nice thought, but if they are available from a commercial place, I would rather pay a bit more than put any member of this forum in the bind of loaning theirs out. My experience with neighbors "loaning" equipment to each other has not been great. Something inevitably breaks and then it is very awkward as to who pays what and can end up with hard feelings.
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

It is a nice idea and quite generous to offer your time and up front money like that.

I thought about renting one from that place mentioned above a couple of years ago but thought the cost a bit too much.