water/camp shoes

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
longri
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: water/camp shoes

Post by longri »

I've never felt any need for camp shoes. For water crossings I try my hardest to stay dry; it's a challenge and can involve some acrobatics. When that's not possible I attempt to go barefoot. And when that's not going to work I wear my hiking shoes/boots and just accept the fact that they'll be wet for a little while.

The only time I've taken a second pair of shoes is on ski trips when there was more than just a little bit of walking to be done. In that case I've done the same as @markskor and bought some really cheap, lightweight runners. The last time I did this I cached my shoes on a snag partway up a peak I was skiing, figuring I'd have to ski right past them on the way down. Sure enough, I **skied right past them**. I completely forgot about my shoes until I'd descended well over 1000 feet below them. For all I know those cheap shoes are still hanging in that snag.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

I do not carry water/camp shoes, but I do carry some neoprene water socks. They provide just enough padding and traction so that I can get across a rocky stream bottom, yet they weigh only 3 ounces. I wouldn't use them much in camp unless my boots were wet.
TurboHike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TurboHike »

bobby49 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:54 pm I do not carry water/camp shoes, but I do carry some neoprene water socks. They provide just enough padding and traction so that I can get across a rocky stream bottom, yet they weigh only 3 ounces. I wouldn't use them much in camp unless my boots were wet.
bobby49,

What brand/model of water socks do you use?
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

No brand. They were very cheap.
TurboHike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TurboHike »

bobby49 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:20 am No brand. They were very cheap.
Thank you.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

AlmostThere writes:
I have the Croc Swiftwater shoe - fabric upper so even lighter than the usual croc
Damn- those look great, but just when we were thinking that we should change our standard Crocs for the ones without holes. We use the Std Crocs as winter camp shoes, and our only complaint is the snow and water that can get in. Now looking at your version we may have to buy 2 more pairs- summer and winter versions.

I think of camp shoes as more than just that, but also as viable approach and retreat shoes. Crocs are a good option if bad blisters occur, or just to get out of the huge plastic boots. I once used crocs for 8 miles of snow and slush, pounding down Lee Vining Canyon when we ran out of snow.
They are surprisingly durable.

DB21, I think it's wise to make your camp shoes double as footgear that you might hike in, either to get out of the heavy plastic ski boots, or due to blisters. Of course lightweight runners can serve the same purpose.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Almost There-- Exactly how much lighter are your swiftwater shoes than your normal Crocks? There are no weights listed on the Crock web site. How fast does the fabric dry?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:50 pm Almost There-- Exactly how much lighter are your swiftwater shoes than your normal Crocks? There are no weights listed on the Crock web site. How fast does the fabric dry?
So this is the part where I roll my eyes at myself. Since you wanted to know exactly, I got out the scale. Come to find out the swiftwater is 8 oz and the ordinary croc 6.5 oz. The difference if I hold them in each hand is imperceptible. The sole has a more aggressive tread, which is part of the appeal - it is after all what I want for wading in creeks full of slippery rocks. The sole seems to be thicker than the regular croc. I like the big toe bumper as well, and that it fits more snugly.

The fabric dries pretty well, to my recollection.
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

I carry an older version of the Vivobarefoot Ultras. https://www.vivobarefoot.com/us/womens/ ... =Lead+Blue They are super light, don't absorb water, and can be tightened down or loose at camp.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

When I know there will be fords or when I take my packraft I take my Crocs Offroads. Size 10s are 6.9 oz per shoe. I like the fact that I can cinch them down tight when fording. They are durable enough that they last several seasons for me. Though the toe is solid there are 4 holes on the sides of the front that I wish weren't there. I actually bring a light pair of socks to wear inside the shoes when fishing to avoid my lily white feet getting sunburned when in my raft. A friend of mine neglected to do so on one trip and ended up getting 2nd degree sunburn on his ankles. Cost him an outstanding next trip that he was forced to sit out.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!