PLB failures

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
SirBC
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: PLB failures

Post by SirBC »

AlmostThere wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:45 pm Except not really. My friend, using an InReach, sent me a message. It took half a day to get to me. When it did finally I could see when it was sent on the message, but it was NOT when the message was received. She only saw when it was sent.
I've also had some messages take a while to arrive. My point though was that in an emergency situation when you send an SOS the dispatch can text you back letting you know they have received an SOS and ask for further information about your emergency. If I didn't receive a reply I would assume the SOS wasn't received and continue sending, moving to a new area if possible.
robow8 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:22 pm My first gen inReach Explorer has instructions on the back how to reset it.
rlown wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:25 pm Ditto, and it says only to hold it down for 10 seconds.
I have the inReach SE, not sure what generation. The instructions on the back of mine only refer to sending an SOS, nothing about resetting the device. For the SE it's a 60 second hold of the two buttons:
Inreach.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-------------
Dave | flickr
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

P5230861.JPG
Inreach Explorer instructions on the back.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SirBC
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by SirBC »

They must have different instructions for different versions (Mine is the model INRCH20 to your INRCH25). Having the reset instructions on the back and making it 10 seconds vs. 60 is an improvement.
inreachback.jpg
-------------
Dave | flickr
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I love technology! :)
Gonehiking
Topix Newbie

Post by Gonehiking »

LMBSGV wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 10:16 am The SPOT X also does 2-way communication. However, as Old Ranger mentioned, one needs a clear view for the device to work. For example, last summer, my SPOT X didn't work when I sent a Check-in/OK message from Kings Canyon by the Bubbs Creek crossing at Junction Meadow due to the trees and the canyon.
I was wondering if you have any experience with messaging on inReach devices(s) and how they compare with the Spot X. I've had bad luck messaging and sending tracking points with an inReach Mini. I am considering getting the Explorer+, but was also looking at the Spot X mainly because it's much less expensive to buy and plan subscription.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I've texted 4 times on my inReach SE. Almost immediate turn around on responses (this was from Evelyn Lk in Yose.) One of my recipients thought it was spam at first when he received it :) I gave another text "HB frozen" and he knew it was me.
Love my device and I'm on the freedom plan (Annual enrollment fee, and I can activate/deactivate as I feel it is necessary.)

Now if I can get the dog to press the SOS button on the screen :(