Permethrin and Mosquitos?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Permethrin and Mosquitos?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Does anyone know if washing permethrin treated clothing in streams or lakes is acceptable with respect to aquatic life in those waters? I worry about rinsing out my bugs-off shirt. I usually do it in a good flowing stream so at least anything that gets into the water is quickly diluted.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

I don't think that it is safe for aquatic life.

If I had permethrin treated clothing, it would be outer layers. As a general rule, the only item that I rinse in a stream is a synthetic t-shirt, and that is not an outer layer.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:17 pm Does anyone know if washing permethrin treated clothing in streams or lakes is acceptable with respect to aquatic life in those waters? I worry about rinsing out my bugs-off shirt. I usually do it in a good flowing stream so at least anything that gets into the water is quickly diluted.
Permethrin is a pretty water hating compound. It has a log P of about 6, which means it prefers a greasy solvent a million times more than water.

Course, it also comes with the GHS09 warning which has a picture of a dead fish. So even though not much will end up in the water, it's really bad for fish & swimming critters. A few micrograms per liter will kill trout.

So the answer is, I'm not sure. I'd guess a quick rinse in a cold & flowing stream is probably fine. Rinsing in a bowl, and then scattering the rinse water onto rocks would be even better. Permethrin has a short half life when exposed to sunlight. But we're learning that many pesticides persist longer in the ecosystem in ways we didn't expect (ask the bees).
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.