hiking shoe lifespan

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
westmatt
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

hiking shoe lifespan

Post by westmatt »

With many estimates of hiking shoe lifespan in the hundreds of miles, I want to make sure my expectations aren't unreasonable.

I bought a pair in April, it's now August and I've got about 100 miles on them. The insoles are done - flattened, and the soles are very warn - most of the lugs towards the front are worn off.

I'm not an extreme hiker, I hike almost every weekend in the 5-10 mile range, typical trails. I feel like the performance of these shoes has been less than stellar, but perhaps I'm not being reasonable.

Any opinions?

thanks,
-Matt
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: hiking shoe lifespan

Post by c9h13no3 »

Yeah trail running shoes wear out fast, boots are more durable. But the terrain you hike & your weight matter as well.

I'm currently running in Solomon Sense Ride 1.0's, which you can get pretty cheaply now since they've come out with the 2.0 version. But they only last one season, I'm not sure I'd recommend them. My Addidas Terrex shoes are more durable, but the tougher & more durable rubber gives me blisters on runs >10 miles.

My pair of boots are 4 years old, and other than a shoe goo repair to re-stick the sole, they've been great.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by The Other Tom »

I follow several PCT hiker vlogs. Most of them use after market insoles and replace shoes every 500-700 miles.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

Insoles are a must.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

You should be getting a lot more from your trail hikers than 100 miles, especially staying on trails and hiking low daily averages, at least 300-400 miles.
Most of newer performance trail runners, especially the ones geared for scrambling or high mileage hiking have harder rubber compound for there out- soles, the lugs shouldn't even be showing much wear from trail hiking 100 miles. Some companies also put decent insoles into their shoes (La Sportiva), others need to be swapped out for some better ones, according to your needs (arch support).
Average pair of shoes used during PCT thru-hikers was 4, so 100 miles ain't giving you your money's worth, try some different shoes, like La Sportiva, Altra, The North Face, Merrell, and Salomon for example, but there are many more good companies to choose from.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular

Post by Dave_Ayers »

Be careful of using running shoes and certain brands that are primarily running focused. I've moved away from several brands (NB for instance) for that reason - they simply don't last. Go with Trail Runners. I'm repeatedly getting 500 mi or so from Saucony TR's.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

I rarely get more than one season out of a pair of hiking shoes...and they wear exactly as you suggest. For me, one season is usually around 20+ miles, half of which is backpacking, the rest is day hiking. 100 miles seems low...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
freestone
Topix Expert

Post by freestone »

My trailrunners wear out fast too, but they get a lot more than just trail miles. They also get lots of urban wear on concrete which takes a toll on the soles as well. My issue with the worn soles is no traction on hardback with a gravelly top on the downhill. Just like trying to walking on ball bearings.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
westmatt
Topix Acquainted

Post by westmatt »

Thanks all for your input. These were hiking shoes, not trail runners, but I feel the mileage was low, and I'll have to look for another brand.

-Matt
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The softer rubber on the sole, the faster they wear out. I suspect your shoe had what is called "sticky" rubber, which is great for technical climbing but not good for miles of backpacking. Pay attention to the brand name and model of the sole. You may be able to look it up on the internet and see if it is intended for long wear or is "sticky" rubber. I prefer "Vibram". Merell just changed to their own brand (cheaper)- have also really gone downhill since bought out by New Balance.

I usually replace the innersole with "Superfeet" so the original inner sole is not that important to me. My problem with shoes is that the stitching blows out due to lots of off-trail in talus and sharp rocks.