ULA Catalyst

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: ULA Catalyst

Post by kpeter »

I did get the Catalyst. It DOES fit my Bearvault, horizontally. It fits it pretty much anywhere in the pack, although it only carries well in the upper 2/3. You don't want all the weight at the very bottom, anyway. The two aluminum stays and plastic stiffener are more than enough to keep it from bulging through into my back.

However, the BV fits snugly. If your Bearicade is even half an inch longer then it would only fit vertically. Their video demonstrates how the BV fits and notes that "even larger" cans fit vertically.

https://www.ula-equipment.com/product/catalyst/
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

How tall is your BV?
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

It is not only how tall a bear can is, but the total circumference when placed horizontally. Obviously it has to be less than the circumference of the pack sleeve, which in most packs is effectively less downward due to the bent stays and/or contoured stiff panel. My old Bear Vault is 41 1/8 inches; Bearikade Weekender 39 1/2 inches. I think the newer Bear Vaults have a different lid so may be slightly different.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Ok then. My 12" tall Bearikade is 12" tall, circumference of ~30.5 inches and a diameter of 9" Pretty much the 9" that matters.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

The question is: what's wrong with placing a bear canister in a pack in a vertical orientation?

I wrap my Bearikade with my foam sleep pad, and then the whole thing slides right in.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

This is the question.. Does the pack push the vertical orientation into your back?
After I feed the 11 horses and 5 goats that aren't mine tonight, I'll grab my pack and the bearikade and take pics. It fits or it doesn't.

In my old Kelty Tioga, it fits perfectly in the bottom, and then underwear and other things easily stuffed around the edges. Tent was strapped on outside (tarptent) which works well.

For the Catalyst, If I need to move the bearikade to the top, that won't be a problem. My sleeping bag will go in the bottom, my filter, stove, other stuff will fill around it wrapped in fleece. It'll take a couple of repacks to figure out the new configuration.

We will see. Plan B.. Kelty again.

Gotta love the challenge to get under 45lb. Heck, my fishing gear is more overweight. :)
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

rlown wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:32 pm This is the question.. Does the pack push the vertical orientation into your back?

Gotta love the challenge to get under 45lb. Heck, my fishing gear is more overweight. :)
Mine doesn't. Of course I am not worried about 45 pounds. I generally stay around 30 pounds overall (with food, water, camera, canister, filter, etc.).
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

how many days? and you don't fish. My trips are generally 8 days.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

My BV is an old model that is no longer made, but it is the equivalent of the BV 500.

13 1/4 tall.
27 1/2 circumference around the barrel.
40 3/4 circumference measured up one side, across the top, down the other side, and across the bottom. This is probably the most useful measurement because that is how it fits against the sides of the pack when placed horizontally.

Will it poke through? It cannot when stored horizontally. The aluminum stays prevent it.

Would a longer can poke though if placed vertically? I doubt it. The two aluminum stays in the back in a slight V shape from the top to the bottom. They are 6 1/2 inches apart at the top. I doubt that a can has so much curvature to it that it could significantly protrude through a 6 1/2 inch gap, and even so there is a stiffener that would lesson that, and there is the possibility of packing strategically to prevent it. I don't think protrusion would be a problem unless you took out the aluminum stays (which you can do.)
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by robow8 »

I have the Catalyst and a Bearikade Weekender, which is 10.5 inches. It fits horizontally with enough room that I think your 12 inch should fit, though it may be tight. I pack my quilt, pad, and clothes on the bottom, then my can, tent, and other gear on top of it.