Who shrunk my SMD Skyscape X? ;-)

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
NoBoHiker
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Who shrunk my SMD Skyscape X? ;-)

Post by NoBoHiker »

So, I am the mostly happy owner of an SMD Skyscape X (Cuban Fiber) which served me really well in the Sierra over the past 5 years. I have been pitching it with my hiking poles while Backpacking, but I recently started Bikepacking so I reached out to SMD asking for the right length poles to order. I purchased the 45" poles and soon after started my trip.
First night out, I was puzzled as the tent was almost impossible to pitch. The were way too long, the tent was not stable, the wind would catch the tent way too easy and the vestibule was so high up that there was no privacy and the inside of the tent very narrow since the material was pulled up.
Sure enough the wind picked up and the tent came down multiple times that night, the poles were way too long. Yes, I should have pitched the tent prior to that trip, but I was also frustrated about SMD’s length guidance. So I reached out to SMD sharing my concern and their first response was that I did not pitch the tent right, they told me the poles would not go inside the tent, but between the bug screen and the outer tent.carbon fiber material. Once I sent them pictures that there is no way to pitch the tent like that, they informed me that I had one of the early versions and I couldn’t pitch that way.
They then ensured me that the Skyscape X had been designed to work with 45" poles and that they are absolutely right. They assume that the Cuban Fiber material shrunk and that the entire tent is too small for 45’’ poles.

I am surprised about this as I Have not seen any indication of the tent to have changed in size over the years. I have pitched it high in good weather condition and low for storm mode, no problems so far. I have a hard time imagining the tent shrunk that much.

Anyone else out there with a Skyscape X? Have you experienced shrinkage? Have you been using a 45" pole?

Thanks for reading my post.

Rick
SMD Sky X05_c.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Re: Who shrunk my SMD Skyscape X? ;-)

Post by Gazelle »

I have one and have not seen shrinkage and do use about a 45 in trekking pole but I have the one with poles on the outside of the interior
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
TurboHike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TurboHike »

NoBoHiker wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:03 pm Have you experienced shrinkage?
Yes, cuben fiber shrinks when exposed to heat. There is an older thread on this on another forum:

https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showth ... uben-Fiber

Did you keep the tent in a hot car maybe?
NoBoHiker
Topix Novice

Post by NoBoHiker »

Yes, cuben fiber shrinks when exposed to heat. There is an older thread on this on another forum:

https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showth ... uben-Fiber
From that thread:
I put my iron on it and it was like shrink wrap. All shriveled up. Then, I tested it with fire - it wont catch fire right away,
That does not apply here, I have never exposed my tent to heat - I never even leave it pitched during the day, so no excessive sun exposure.

Well let's see if any other SMD Skyscape X owners stumble across this topic to see if they chime in.
What frustrates me most is the SMD service attitude. "we are right, you are wrong, end of discussion". Even though they didn't even know what they were initially talking about. I am assuming that the poles they sell will only work with the model which has the outside pole pockets. Bummer they are not honest enough to stand corrected. I have decided to sell both of my SMD tents once I figured out what I want next, they certainly lost a customer.

Thanks all for chiming in!
NoBoHiker
Topix Novice

Post by NoBoHiker »

Gazelle wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:35 am I have one and have not seen shrinkage and do use about a 45 in trekking pole but I have the one with poles on the outside of the interior
Thank you Gazelle
TurboHike
Topix Regular

Post by TurboHike »

I'm reviving an older post on cuben fiber shrinkage; here's a great video by YAMA Mtn Gear; just wrinkling the fabric causes shrinkage... Hmmm.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEYNUdmlDxc/
shtinkypuppie
Topix Acquainted

Post by shtinkypuppie »

I have a Skyscape X and I do feel like it's a bit... More snug than it was originally.

Shame they don't make them anymore, mine is literally falling apart.
"It is a wholesome and necessary thing for us to turn again to the Earth, and in contemplation of her beauties to know wonder and humility"

- Rachel Carson
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

I just used mine no shrinkage, works great love the tent went back to it after a tarptent notch in dcf easier to set up, but. like both!
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein