camping pillow

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Pulpit
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: camping pillow

Post by Pulpit »

I have the Sea to Summit Aeros Ultralight. LOVE it.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I used to just carry a lite stuff sack. But I have decided that the flannel of this one feels nice enough to justify the weight.
https://www.backcountry.com/therm-a-res ... 6c1add0db3
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
TurboHike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TurboHike »

Exped Air pillow for me. I've used the stuff sack method on some trips, but not as comfortable for me as the air pillow.
freestone
Topix Expert

Post by freestone »

I used the Exped air pillow too but there can be fun and games with those. They are so light they seem to squirt out from underneath my head whenever I change positions, which is often, necessitating reaching around to find it then get it back under my he'd again. Its not too bad an issue if you are under a quilt but definitely a hassle in a mummy bag.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
CAMERONM
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by CAMERONM »

I use a Sea-to-Summit. But here is the answer to the question that you did not ask: how to use it? Oh, I will tell you.
I put two 2" strips of velcro on my sleep pad, and two on the underside of the pillow. No more sliding pillow, no more pillow inside the bag.
You're welcome.
John Harper
Topix Expert

Post by John Harper »

BigFooD wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:57 am Sea to Summit pillow looks comfortable, it resembles on my home pillow. I'll give it a chance most likely, thanks. As for people, who put something bit softer than stone under the head and sleep normally, I really envy you :D
I've used a Sea to Summit pillow for about 5 years now, works great for me. I had another brand (I forget), but it always felt like a ball in the center so you could never feel comfortable. The Sea to Summit is much better IMO. For the 1- 2 ounces it weighs, I don't need to be a tough guy and wad up pine needles, lichen, dead marmots, or spare clothes inside a sack.

John
notis
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by notis »

The best pillow I've found is the Exped AirPillow. The regular and UL versions both have tabs on the side. I cut some shockcord and secure each end to the pillow through those tabs with some simple large cordlocks. Then the shockcord can go around my pad; the pillow doesn't slide around, is adjustable, and I can stick my arm underneath it like at home. The pillow also has the tall and shorter lips on opposite sides, like those special memory foam pillows do. Hope you find something that works well!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have no opinion on pillows, but perhaps this thread could be better served if it were moved to the "outdoor gear" sub-forum.
rayfound
Topix Expert

Post by rayfound »

I absolutely loved my exped downpillow.... until the ultrathin ziploc-bag like material bladder inside got a hole that was unable to be remedied. Exped sent me some fix it stuff but it frankly never worked. I grabbed one of the Klymit X-Pillows now that I actually use inside the shell from the Exped Downpillow and that's a MUCH more robust, and while yes, the whole setup is a bit on the heavy side, I struggle to sleep in the backcountry so I have decided to stick with it.
blaybelay
Topix Novice

Post by blaybelay »

Big Sky International DreamSleeper and something wrapped around it. Total pillow weight is 1.4oz and its super comfy.

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Sky-Internat ... 24&sr=8-92