Choosing a down bag

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Choosing a down bag

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have a WM and my husband has a FF half-bag. I believe FF bags are sewn in Seattle. Not sure if WM bags are made in USA. WM seems to have grown to be a larger company (based in Santa Rosa?) and their bags are sold widely by other stores. I do not know if they would let you try bags from their local store. FF was more of a cottage industry; you may only be able to buy directly from them. Both of our bags are great. I think FF can also make more custom stuff- like the half bag. I remember that my husband had to wait a while to get his bag - at the time they only sewed the bag once you ordered. That may have changed. I bought my WM bag from a smaller climbing store in Salt Lake City.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

WM bags have a zipper guard to prevent snagging which can be very frustrating, FF bags I believe do not. WM bags sell only through a dealer network, FF is direct The WM factory is in San Jose. Quality is the hallmark of both companies. WM can be frustrating to communicate with because of their setup with the dealers.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Not sure if WM bags are made in USA.
WM bags are made/based in the San Jose.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

maverick wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:43 pm
Not sure if WM bags are made in USA.
WM bags are made/based in the San Jose.
I've been in the back room where all of the down is flying around.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I've been in the back room where all of the down is flying around.
Me too. Good to see a made in the USA product, by a small independent company, that puts out such high quality products in our backyard for over 30 years. :nod:

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

Your back yard or my back yard?

I still remember all of that goose down in the back room. It looked like a snow storm.

I was there mostly for the store in the front.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I live in Santa Clara, so mine. :)

bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

maverick wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:36 am
I live in Santa Clara, so mine. :)
No, I live in Santa Clara, so mine!

I think that I recognize you. Didn't we go to different schools together?
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

OK, after 9 months of mulling it over, I'm going for the WM bag, which has the added benefit of choosing which side you want the zipper on! Strangely important for getting in and out of my very snug one man tent. And the other advantage is...Maverick :)

Thanks to ALL of you for your very useful advice in this thread. Hopefully, there will be someone else who will benefit from all of my questions and all of your answers!
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

After many years with a WM Versalite 38 oz 10 degree I made the switch to a Katabatic Sawatch 15 degree 26 oz quilt and it is good move for me. With the WM I would start to feel cold at 30 degrees; I took the Katabatic down to 26 degrees this week and it is clearly warmer. Both are top of the line items, but several things have become clear. The katabatic is trimmer and my somewhat thin body just cannot heat up all the extra space in the WM. I also think all the extra down around the hood in a mummy bag is a waste and even somewhat annoying; the combination of the generous collar on the Katabatic along with a GooseFeet Gear hood is both warmer and more comfortable for moving around, which I do a lot of. So- lighter, warmer, more comfortable in use.