Choosing a down bag

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Choosing a down bag

Post by SSSdave »

With my 2011 Marmot Pinnacle sleeping bag shell disintegrating and plastered with Gorilla Tape on tears, did my homework yesterday online for current down sleeping bags in the 5F>20F range so this morning ordered from REI this below Aya 15 women's model by Nemo, a $390 list price model. REI had it on sale for $293 and I then received a special 20% online purchase code discount plus a 10% REI membership discount plus had $30 of REI credit so only $225 after taxes.

Perusing all the websites and information noticed there are significant reasons to be very careful selecting down sleeping bags in this online era as there are many products with mediocre specs being sold for high prices mixed in with valid pricing. Especially important to look at actual down fill weights, fill power ratings, and industry standardized temperature ratings versus manufacturer ratings. Probably many sleeping bags are sold in sporting goods stores by look and strong bright colors without people understanding product issues.

The women's size is fine since I am just a thin 5'6". The light metallic color might as well be gender neutral and will allow some modest custom marker artwork. Have a rotisserie sleeping style usually turning each time I wake up and most often just use sleeping bags blanket style while sleeping atop my short Z Lite pad until wee hours when I might get inside and zip up. Will report back here after it gets shipped and use it a bit.

NEMO Aya 15 Down Mummy Sleeping Bag - Women's
Regular - Right Zip
Aluminum/Aqua
Item # 1847070001

Tested Lower Limit 17 degrees (F) - EN
Tested Comfort 17 degrees (F) - EN
Temperature Rating (F) 17 degrees (F)
Temperature Rating (C) -9 degrees (C)
Weight 2 lbs. 1 oz.
Shell 20-denier ripstop nylon
Zipper Location Right
Insulation Type Down
Premium 800 FP down (RDS) Certified
Water-Resistant Down Yes
Fill PFC-free down
Fill Weight 1 lb. 3 oz.
Lining 30-denier nylon taffeta
Sleeping Bag Shape Mummy
Fits Up To (in.) 66 inches
Shoulder Girth (in.) 58 inches
Hip Girth (in.) 54 inche
s
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

I just received my Western Mountaineering Ultralite, obtained via our own Maverick.

https://www.westernmountaineering.com/s ... ultralite/

Full-length #5 YKK Zipper
Full Down Collar
5 1/4″ Spacing/Continuous Baffles
59″/38″ Shoulder/Foot Girth
5″ Loft, 20° F
16 oz. Down Fill
1 lb. 13 oz. Total Weight

It is a beautifully crafted piece of gear. I particularly like the taping around the zipper which prevents it from ever snagging. It is noticeably lighter than my old bag, and comes with a sturdy storage bag and a stuff sack. I will let you know how it performs after a summer of backpacking!
tahoefoothills
Topix Acquainted

Post by tahoefoothills »

Yes, please let us know what your experience is with this sleeping bag. Being a cold sleeper, I am particularly interested in what you have to say about how warm you found this bag to be at or near 20 degrees (or whatever the coldest temperature is when you are using it).
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

So, those of you with ultralite down bags like the WM I just purchased--do you use the original 7x13 stuff sack (non compression), or do you use some other kind of compression stuff sack? I know better than to store the bag compressed--it has a nice roomy storage bag--but it would probably compress smaller in my pack with the right stuff sack.
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

I have had a WM Ultralight for 5 yrs now; bought it used. I absolutely love it. I store it in the off time in the blue cloth bag in my closet. I car camp and use a regular stuff sack as it's only in there a night or two before I use it every night and don't need it real compact. But when I did use it when I needed loaded into a pack I do use a OR compression sack and it still seems happy and puff right out of hibernation; again maybe 2 days like that before I use it. Treat it well and it will last a lifetime. As far as temps? Maybe low 20's. (22*) I'm a cold sleeper and have always been real comfy but i'm usually in base layers too. I can always open the bottom zipper....
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

austex wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:52 am I have had a WM Ultralight for 5 yrs now; bought it used. I absolutely love it. I store it in the off time in the blue cloth bag in my closet. I car camp and use a regular stuff sack as it's only in there a night or two before I use it every night and don't need it real compact. But when I did use it when I needed loaded into a pack I do use a OR compression sack and it still seems happy and puff right out of hibernation; again maybe 2 days like that before I use it. Treat it well and it will last a lifetime. As far as temps? Maybe low 20's. (22*) I'm a cold sleeper and have always been real comfy but i'm usually in base layers too. I can always open the bottom zipper....
Austex, do you remember what size OR compression sack you use? They seem to come in 5 liter and 8 liter versions now.
Matt_W
Topix Novice

Post by Matt_W »

tahoefoothills wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:27 pm Yes, please let us know what your experience is with this sleeping bag. Being a cold sleeper, I am particularly interested in what you have to say about how warm you found this bag to be at or near 20 degrees (or whatever the coldest temperature is when you are using it).
I have a Cedar Ridge Le Conte 20 degree down quilt. (https://cedarridgegear.com/store/LeCont ... p277622544) It weighs about 1lb 10oz. I've used it in sub 30's weather (with a mid weight wool base layer, Torrid Apex jacket, and wool balaclava) and was very comfortable.
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

kpeter wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:47 pm
austex wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:52 am I have had a WM Ultralight for 5 yrs now; bought it used. I absolutely love it. I store it in the off time in the blue cloth bag in my closet. I car camp and use a regular stuff sack as it's only in there a night or two before I use it every night and don't need it real compact. But when I did use it when I needed loaded into a pack I do use a OR compression sack and it still seems happy and puff right out of hibernation; again maybe 2 days like that before I use it. Treat it well and it will last a lifetime. As far as temps? Maybe low 20's. (22*) I'm a cold sleeper and have always been real comfy but i'm usually in base layers too. I can always open the bottom zipper....
Austex, do you remember what size OR compression sack you use? They seem to come in 5 liter and 8 liter versions now.
The OR compression sack I use does not have a label on it and too old for me to remember... Fortunately I just put my 20* quilt in a similar sack yesterday as I'm planning on taking it it west on a trip tomorrow. I'd say 8L as the quilt fits into a sack that squishes into a size of a granite gear 5L sack and the bag does not compress as well as the EE quilt. Hope it helps. You can never have too many different sizes of stuff sacks.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

I've now used my new WM Ultralite on two trips and can give a report.

It is a well made bag, actually signed by the two seamstresses, and weighs a full pound less than my old bag.

It is rated for 20 degrees but I would not be comfortable in it at 20 degrees--just like my old bag. The lowest temp I've experienced so far was 38 degrees and the bag was warm enough to be comfortable, although I wore some extra clothes. So I need a 20 degree bag to stay comfortable at considerably higher temperatures.

After toying with the idea of doing a quilt, I am happy I did the bag. I sleep about half of the time on my back and half of the time on my side, and tend to turn the whole bag with me. I doubt the quilt would have stood up to my constant twisting without opening up or letting cold air in at my back. With this bag, nothing to worry about.