Insoles for Morton's Neuroma?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Insoles for Morton's Neuroma?

Post by BSquared »

As we age, my wife and I have both developed Morton's neuroma, a sometimes-painful but otherwise benign condition that frequently causes a feeling of a small sock wrinkle or even a small pebble under the front of the foot—oddly enough, the feeling is not where the neuroma is, in the metatarsal area, but farther toward the toes. When it's severe, it can make it very unpleasant to hike, and unfortunately the way to relieve it is to stay off one's feet—for weeks—clearly not acceptable during conditioning season, let alone hiking season! There are various specialized insoles manufactured that can really help. I've had particularly good luck with New Balance 1205's, which have a small bump carefully placed to spread the metatarsals, which reduces pressure on the neuroma and thus relieves the pain.

But I cannot find these insoles anywhere anymore. I got some other New Balance insoles with metatarsal pads, but they're not nearly as helpful. So: since this is not a rare condition, I'm hoping that some fellow sufferer out there has found an insole that really helps, along with a source for such an insole. Any takers?
—B²
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Insoles for Morton's Neuroma?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

My Morten's Neuroma went away when I switched to a hiking shoe with a VERY wide fore-foot. Once my foot could properly spread out, no more pain. Just another idea to try, along with insoles. I have always used Superfeet (green).
BSquared
Founding Member
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BSquared »

Thaks, Daisy. Are you using Keens?
—B²
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I would love to wear Keens, but my heel is too narrow and I have a very "low volume" foot, in spite of the wide toe spread. Merrels worked well, until they discontinued the shoes that fit, now the new women's shoe lasts are actually a bit narrow, so I too am looking for a new shoe. I think the trail running shoes actually have better choices to fit a variety of feet.
SweetSierra
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by SweetSierra »

Bsquared, six years or so I developed a similar issue on the forefoot of both feet. I'm a daily runner and it became too painful to run comfortably. Until then, I hadn't had any serious foot issues. I could still walk without too much pain but I knew it would get worse. It was the same symptoms as you experienced, pain like a pebble on my forefoot.

I was living in Oregon then and saw a podiatrist in Medford. He said he could eliminate the pain by fitting me with custom made orthotics. I still remember when I put them on the first time. The pain was gone. I order the orthotics every two years or so (I run 30 to 40 miles a week so I wear them out fairly quickly), and the pain has never returned. He explained the mechanics of why the inserts work but I only remember that they took pressure off the forefoot in part by giving me more of an arch. I slip the orthotics into my Keen backpacking boots and they feel great. I have a wide forefoot and a small, almost nonexistent arch.